Thread: Help me identify this $20 jack plane

Help me identify this $20 jack plane

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. I'm just dipping my toes into hand tools and being a tightwad I decided to start cheap, so I picked up this jack plane for $20 on Kijiji. It's complete (minus a mis-sized screw in the front of the handle) and in reasonably good condition despite the handle being broken in a couple places (the current repair is ugly but sturdy).

Just for fun I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into the origin of this particular plane. The middle aged guy I bought it from said it was his grandfathers and, judging by the length of the extra iron that came with it, it seems to have had a long service life already. I can't find any markings on it besides "Made in USA" cast into the base and the numbers "397" on the underside of the lever cap.

Any insight would be appreciated!

-Nate

IMG_1977.jpgIMG_1978.jpgIMG_1980.jpgIMG_1969.jpg

Stanley "Whale Tail" made before 1962.

My guess would be a Fulton. The lateral adjustment looks like a bent over piece of metal and not the typical stamped out half moon shape of a Stanley. The 397 also makes me think it's a Fulton. More likely bought at Sears back in the day.

Blog Entries
    To be certain a better view of the lateral lever would be needed.

The rise around the base of the knob has a Millers Falls look to it. If the lateral lever is the whale tail Then as Steven says it is likely one of the many different runs made by Stanley.

The old worn blade looks like it is older than the plane.

What matters is if it can do the work you want from it.

It might be a candidate for becoming a scrub plane down the line.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks to me to be a 2nd line Sargent plane, marketed as "Hercules"

I'd say Millers Falls as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    To be certain a better view of the lateral lever would be needed.

The rise around the base of the knob has a Millers Falls look to it. If the lateral lever is the whale tail Then as Steven says it is likely one of the many different runs made by Stanley.

The old worn blade looks like it is older than the plane.

What matters is if it can do the work you want from it.

It might be a candidate for becoming a scrub plane down the line.

jtk
    Here're a couple pictures of the frog. The lateral lever is formed from flat stock shaped like a "P" with the tab bent down.

IMG_1974.jpgIMG_1973.jpg

I think with minimal effort I can get it sharpened up and taking cuts. A bit of cleanup and some handle repair and I hope to have a useable tool for a good long time!

Thanks for the replies everyone,

-Nate

Mohawk-Shelburne line.....sometime before 1949...after that, it became the V Line. Red is missing from the lever of the levercap...No. 814...1935-1949, Millers falls economy line of tools...There may or may not be a number stamped into the left side of the plane's body....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-03-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    The lateral lever definitely looks like a Millers Falls production.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Mohawk-Shelburne line.....sometime before 1949...after that, it became the V Line. Red is missing from the lever of the levercap...No. 814...1935-1949, Millers falls economy line of tools...There may or may not be a number stamped into the left side of the plane's body....
    That's the one! Had I known more before asking my question I might have noticed the Mohawk-Shelburne stamp on the iron and put two and two together myself.

And you're right Jim, the old iron has a different, mostly illegible stamp on it. Something from Connecticut if I remember correctly.

Thanks again for the insight, everyone. I need to do a good cleanup in the shop now that it's slowly warming up outside and then I'll get to playing with this "new" toy!

-Nate