Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear an apron while working?

Never. I started as a carpenter so it's the most comfortable for me to wear a small clip on pouch that holds the 6" ruler, 6" square, pencil, and DC remote.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes when looking at pictures of woodworkers from half a century ago they are wearing buttoned shirts and ties. The apron was likely a way to keep the good cloths clean.

My experience with an apron ended quickly because it wasn't comfortable. Of course others may find them comfortable.

Reaching into pockets to find a square or ruler can be a little dicey if there is also a marking knife in there.

jtk
    Exactly my own experience. I really would like to be comfortable with one apron as it looks so nice... when used by others!

They are not for me!
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

3. I've never worn an apron. I've never really felt the need to as my clothes don't get that dirty with hand tools, and all of the things I need are on my workbench or on the wall.

That said, I did order a Lost Art Press chore coat (https://lostartpress.com/products/th...ess-chore-coat), which I guess is similar in function to an apron. Except I would wear the chore coat out of the house too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    I've never worn an apron. I've never really felt the need to as my clothes don't get that dirty with hand tools,
    Do people these days work in their shops with their best clothes on?

I have several pairs of clothes (some for warm seasons and some for cold seasons) for shop use...don't care if they get dirty or not after a day of work.

Simon

5. Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Do people these days work in their shops with their best clothes on?

I have several pairs of clothes (some for warm seasons and some for cold seasons) for shop use...don't care if they get dirty or not after a day of work.

Simon
    I just wear my regular street clothes. I find the "dirty" I get from hand tool woodworking is a good kind of dirty, if that makes sense. Having a few shavings on my clothes makes me feel better.

Hmm... new fashion idea for hipsters... clothes that come with wood shavings already on them. I'm going to be rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    I just wear my regular street clothes. I find the "dirty" I get from hand tool woodworking is a good kind of dirty, if that makes sense. Having a few shavings on my clothes makes me feel better.

Hmm... new fashion idea for hipsters... clothes that come with wood shavings already on them. I'm going to be rich!
    How do you sharpen, glue up, and finish? Inquiring minds want to know.

ken

7. Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    How do you sharpen, glue up, and finish? Inquiring minds want to know.

ken
    I hand sharpen with diamond plates. Usually I use windex. I clean off the iron with a rag.

I usually use fish glue for gluing, but it depends on the item I'm making. I don't think I've ever gotten glue on my clothes.

I finish with tung oil, danish oil, or shellac. Tung oil and danish oil get put on with a facial swab, shellac with a brush.

Maybe I'm just neat? I don't know. I get more stains on my clothes from eating than I do from woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    ...Glued a small magnet between the bucketboss tag and outside of right side chest pocket so 6" rule doesn't fall out when I bend over.
    Excellent idea. I have the Duluth Trading Co. cross-back apron and I wear it whenever I am in the shop (although the new shop isn't done so it will be a while). I took my 6" rule out because it kept falling out. I will be using the magnet idea for sure. Thanks for that.

I have the apron with just the side pockets and the high pockets (not the one with the low pouches which seem like sawdust and shaving magnets). I keep a pair of cheaters, mechanical pencil, Sharpie, and extendable eraser in the breast pockets, and a 4" double-square in one side pocket, a 6" combination square in another, and a 16' tape in a third. As others have said, I like knowing where these often-used tools are without having to look around for them. I have tried to figure out a scabbard or padding to keep a marking knife in the breast pocket but as handy as it would be I just can't convince myself the risk is worth it. I have thought of sewing something down lower and to the side - in an area less prone to causing involuntary harikari. Haven't figured it out yet however.
    Regards,

Kris

Funny, I have never thought about wearing an apron to keep clean, only to keep up with tools. Interesting...............
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Blog Entries
    image.jpeg

I bought this one on eBay. It was made for a gin company and the logo didn't stamp well, so it was sold as a defective one. I use it more for when I'm using a power tool like a grinder, but it is also good for keeping glue off my clothes. So, in short, it's mostly a wall hanger, but it made for a great picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

but it is also good for keeping glue off my clothes.
    Other people have also mentioned about keeping glue off...but how does glue get onto your clothing? Do you spread glue with your fingers, then wipe the fingers on your clothing? I have never had glue on my clothes...except may be on my shoes if I am not careful about glue drips.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Other people have also mentioned about keeping glue off...but how does glue get onto your clothing? Do you spread glue with your fingers, then wipe the fingers on your clothing? I have never had glue on my clothes...except may be on my shoes if I am not careful about glue drips.

Simon
    Actually in strip built boatbuilding that’s exactly what I do.

Yes, a great picture. And she looks quite regal with that hand and curl, looks like a newly discovered Vermeer!

Nope, never, cant imagine buying one. No disrespect for those who do, I just cant imagine wanting to wear one myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post

Simon
    It is usually accidentally and discovered after it has dried.

Though in my experience there have been people, very few, who can work on cars or do hand silkscreen printing* without getting any debris on their hands or clothes. One has to exercise discipline in their work and after a while it becomes second nature to not get messy while working. This has never been one of my strong points. Though one time my brakes on a 1957 VW Bus had to be worked on in the dark while wearing a suit. That was me being very careful for an hour or two.

My better shirts and pants do not get worn in the shop if much work is to be done.

jtk

*One of my careers was as a silkscreen printer. A man named Keno was the only silkscreener in my experience who didn't look like a painters palette from doing the job. At one time he almost didn't get a job because the production manager didn't believe he could be a printer and not have the ink stains to show for it. Fortunately there was someone on the site that knew him and explained that he is strange in that he doesn't get dirty.
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-14-2019 at 2:02 AM. Reason: spelling & wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)