Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear an apron while working?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you wear an apron while working?

Wondering if its worth getting one. Seems like it could keep some dust off the clothes, but that usually brushes off quite readily. The pockets might be helpful just for holding small things like marking knife, pencil, small ruler, square, etc.

There must be a reason why traditional woodworkers wore them in the shop.. what are your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Sometimes when looking at pictures of woodworkers from half a century ago they are wearing buttoned shirts and ties. The apron was likely a way to keep the good cloths clean.

My experience with an apron ended quickly because it wasn't comfortable. Of course others may find them comfortable.

Reaching into pockets to find a square or ruler can be a little dicey if there is also a marking knife in there.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, probably 90% of the time. the Squeezed sewn one for me out a denim material.

I always got fed up with aprons pretty quickly. I started using shop coats. Fantastic, keeps the clothes in better shape and cleaner, you can get them in more sizes, you can get them in different weights and colors for different seasons. . .
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes when looking at pictures of woodworkers from half a century ago they are wearing buttoned shirts and ties. The apron was likely a way to keep the good cloths clean.

My experience with an apron ended quickly because it wasn't comfortable. Of course others may find them comfortable.

Reaching into pockets to find a square or ruler can be a little dicey if there is also a marking knife in there.

jtk
    Exactly my own experience. I really would like to be comfortable with one apron as it looks so nice... when used by others!

They are not for me!
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

6. I've never worn an apron. I've never really felt the need to as my clothes don't get that dirty with hand tools, and all of the things I need are on my workbench or on the wall.

That said, I did order a Lost Art Press chore coat (https://lostartpress.com/products/th...ess-chore-coat), which I guess is similar in function to an apron. Except I would wear the chore coat out of the house too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    I've never worn an apron. I've never really felt the need to as my clothes don't get that dirty with hand tools,
    Do people these days work in their shops with their best clothes on?

I have several pairs of clothes (some for warm seasons and some for cold seasons) for shop use...don't care if they get dirty or not after a day of work.

Simon

8. Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Do people these days work in their shops with their best clothes on?

I have several pairs of clothes (some for warm seasons and some for cold seasons) for shop use...don't care if they get dirty or not after a day of work.

Simon
    I just wear my regular street clothes. I find the "dirty" I get from hand tool woodworking is a good kind of dirty, if that makes sense. Having a few shavings on my clothes makes me feel better.

Hmm... new fashion idea for hipsters... clothes that come with wood shavings already on them. I'm going to be rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    I just wear my regular street clothes. I find the "dirty" I get from hand tool woodworking is a good kind of dirty, if that makes sense. Having a few shavings on my clothes makes me feel better.

Hmm... new fashion idea for hipsters... clothes that come with wood shavings already on them. I'm going to be rich!
    How do you sharpen, glue up, and finish? Inquiring minds want to know.

ken

10. Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    How do you sharpen, glue up, and finish? Inquiring minds want to know.

ken
    I hand sharpen with diamond plates. Usually I use windex. I clean off the iron with a rag.

I usually use fish glue for gluing, but it depends on the item I'm making. I don't think I've ever gotten glue on my clothes.

I finish with tung oil, danish oil, or shellac. Tung oil and danish oil get put on with a facial swab, shellac with a brush.

Maybe I'm just neat? I don't know. I get more stains on my clothes from eating than I do from woodworking.

Aprons are for cooking as far as I am concerned. When I see images of some woodworkers wearing thick leather aprons, I think of butchers. And the white linen aprons look the worst.

Simon

I have an apron. I used it for awhile; I guess I needed to justify the $10 (or thereabouts) price. Never liked it and haven't used it for many years.

I wear one about 75% of the time. Mine is a cross back type so the weight of the apron and tools doesn't pull on my neck. I really do like wearing it, not necessarily for keeping my clothes clean, but for having all my measuring tools and pencils handy. One problem that does bother me is the pockets do fill with shavings while using some of my power tools. My wife has had to patch a few tears a couple of times. I think I will see if she can sew some flaps over the pockets to eliminate that.
    It's also good for keeping glue off your clothes.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

As I've aged my belly has got more and more bulbous and causes the front of my shirt to get a bit grubby. I always wear a leather apron when welding and doing metalwork and now have taken to wearing it all the time in the shed. Shirt fronts have benefited immensely.

I wear a shop apron only when staining, painting, or finishing wood. Otherwise for me it is more of an aggravation than a help. I have shop clothes which are less than respectable and then I have the other clothes.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH