Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you store your chuck jaw sets?

how do you store your chuck jaw sets?

I am looking for a new solution for storing multiple sets of chuck jaws and hoping some of you have come up with good solutions and are willing to share some photos.

thanks!
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

I keep each set of jaws separate in a zip lock plastic bag and store them in a drawer in my tool chest. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

I have a cheap 5 drawer "pit" box from Harbor Freight. I have a drawer that I keep my chuck, all the jaws for it, and the face plate. The drawer is large enough so even my 20" cole jaws easily fit. I also keep the T-handle allen wrenches and a small container with spare screws. I've seen others who have things like pegboards and hang stuff on but the cart is on wheels and I can roll it out of the way when not needed and position it close to me. I have all of my turning tools on the top shelf and a foldable table on the side that I have my grinder on. I expect when I get too much stuff for the box some of it is going to be not used often they will get hung on a spare wall somewhere.

I just have a series of 4 finish nails in line vertically. They are spaced for each set to hang in a vertical column. Each set/column is labelled, eg, "EW2" (easy wood2) or "O5" (Oneway5). I always know what's being used because that column is empty. It's fairly space efficient.

I'm getting ready to build drawers under my lathe and am considering these for storage of small items, including jaw sets
    https://www.amazon.com/RUSPEPA-Recyc...ds=4x4x2+boxes

I'll probably also put the jaws in zip lock bags with a squirt of WD-40, and place that bag in the box. Write on the box to ID. I'd also like some larger and smaller sizes, but the minimum lot sizes start to get expensive.

I've used most of these kinds of things up to now, however I am trying to figure out something for the school. We have in total 20 lathes, each with a chuck, and each chuck has multiple sets of jaws. I am going to build a dedicated wall rack for all of it. I would like to come up with something that looks good and functions well.
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

I used some Kaizen foam to outfit a drawer for jaw storage. I'm fortunate to have several chucks and so I keep different jaws set up on those separately. If I had more drawers available, I'd get rid of the boxes and use the foam to make more storage cavities, but this will have to do for now.

Chuck Jaw Storage.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Harbor Freight has the 18" magnet bar tool holders on sale occasionally. I found 2 bars hold all my jaw sets in groups pretty well.

Dick,
    Kaizen foam is new to me, how do you cut it for each tool and get the correct depth?
    Bob
    Ps
    Watch youtube to see how to cut. Pretty neat.
    Last edited by Bob Coates; 02-06-2019 at 6:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    Dick,
    Kaizen foam is new to me, how do you cut it for each tool and get the correct depth?
    Bob
    Ps
    Watch youtube to see how to cut. Pretty neat.

Kaizen foam is sold by Fastcap. They have a couple of videos on their website that show the process. It is quite simple to cut with a razor knife and the material is layered such that different depths can be cut and pulled out as needed. I simply traced the outline of the tools I wanted to organize and cut that outline with a small utility razor knife. I have been organizing all of my tools and like the idea of "a place for everything and everything in its place". It also is easy to spot when I haven't put something back where it belongs.
    Dick Mahany.

0206191846a_resized.jpg
    This is mounted on the wall behind my lathe.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    0206191846a_resized.jpg
    Very nice!
    Dick Mahany.

I keep my jaws in a plastic box. To keep the sets together, I use a section of bicycle inner tube cut about 1/4" wide, to make a rubber band. I put this around the jaws before taking them off the chuck, which keeps them in order. Also, when putting them on, this automatically has them in the correct order. Makes changing the jaws a little quicker.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I store my Oneway chuck jaws on a Oneway chuck. I like to have a chuck for each set of jaws.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    0206191846a_resized.jpg
    now that's a step in the direction I'm looking for! thanks
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226