Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finish Nailers - Seeking Recommendations

Blog Entries
    Bostitch 23 ga pinner, 18 ga brad and angled 15 ga finish nail gun mostly used for casings. Yea, the 18 ga is the go-to tool. Also have a HF upholstery staple gun I used on my pool table felt. Didn't regret any of them, although my old 18 ga gun has been replaced by a newer one (my son has) that does 2" brads and has a pointed nose. Oh, and a HF flooring nailer.
    NOW you tell me...

I have been looking at the Grex 18 ga. cordless but then found this Amazon review so have sitting on a decision...

A. Khan

1.0 out of 5 starsNothing but Problems
    [COLOR=#555555 !important]December 8, 2018[/COLOR]
    I bought one of these a few days back. I didn't buy it from Amazon but from another retailer. I am posting this review as there is a lack of information on this unit online.

From the day that I used it it only worked fine for a few shots and then started giving problems. I would hear a weak pop and the nailer did not fire. After waiting for a few minutes I would get one good shot and then a couple of duds again. I called Grex and they said that I should try fresh fuel and batteries. I told them that I used new fuel cartridges and the batteries were fresh. Then they wanted me to try using grex brad nails which I cant find where I live.

I called a few Grex dealers in the area looking for brads and they told me that a lot of their customers have had the same problems with this nailer. Grex always tells them that they have fixed it but it keeps on happening again.

If you choose to buy this nailer make sure they seller has a good return policy so you don't get stuck with a $500 paperweight. My experience with this nailer has been problematic

Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have a Bostitch 1/4" crown stapler, older Porter Cable 18ga and 16ga, Hitachi 15ga, and a no name 23ga. If I were buying today I would stick with Hitachi. My 15ga was a recon and has worked great. The 15ga and the 23ga are used the least. I use the 18ga the most.
    Though I currently use Porter Cable 16 & 18 gauge nailers (the kit), I've read lots of good things about Hitachi nailers and would buy them. Remember that Hitachi may now be branded as "Metabo".

In the mid 80's I purchased a Senco SFN2 for door casings and trim work and it works flawlessly even today. The disadvantage was that the 15 gauge nails needed too much fill work as I was using mainly stained trim. In the late 90's I decided to get an 18 gauge Senco SLP 20 and it has been my main nail gun for trim and cabinetry work. It has also been super reliable and problem free. About 2 yrs ago after having such good luck with Senco I purchased the Finish Pro 23LXP micro pinner and have been disappointed. I bought it because it takes 8 sizes of 23 gauge micro pins ranging from 1/2" up to a full 2", but it has been jamming and sticking even though I faithfully oil it at every use. It has been easy enough to un-jam and free up from sticking, but it takes too much time as it happens frequently. I really like the 23 gauge for applying fine trim and crown molding to cabinetry and holding parts while glue cures, but I can't recommend that model based on my experiences. I suspect that part of the problem may be due to it's extended range of pin sizes but don't really know.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-09-2019 at 6:36 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

My Finish Pro 23LXP has been flawless shooting 2" Grex stainless steel pins, but that's all I've ever shot with that one. I have another older one that only goes up to 1-1/8", and that one gets used for all the 23 ga. pins except the long ones.

I bought the Hitachi NT50AE2 18 gauge brad nailer in November of 2018. While I have been happy with it so far, I was not going to offer an opinion because I haven’t used it much. However, since you are looking for something moderately priced, this might fit the bill. It was 39.98 through Amazon Prime when I bought it. Looks like it is up to 62.79 right now via Prime, but maybe the price fluctuates frequently and you can catch it when it’s down again. It is also available refurbished as low as 27.95 with free shipping (grade C refurbished, whatever that means).

The Ryobi 18 gauge cordless works great. I have many other 18V tools so I have batteries. I've put close to 10,000 brads through mine, mostly 2 inch, and it rarely jambs or gives other issues. Jambs are normally because the brad hit another bigger fastener. Most of the brads were used to install trim (crown, base and casing).

Check out the primatech nailers. They are a flooring nailer company. But make some great nailers

I have a Hitachi NT65MA2 15-ga finish nailer that I love. Also an Accuset 18-ga brad nailer that works really well.

Then again, the Chicom cheapo HFT 18-ga nailer/stapler that I paid the princely sum of $15 for about 10 or 15 years ago works really well.

One feature that not all nailers had when I puchased mine was a piston that didn't reset until you released the trigger. I suspect all guns have this feature today, since it helps prevent dents in the workpiece caused by the equal-and-opposite force created when the piston resets...

Every time I use these tools, I marvel at what a nice job they do for things like building up trim, etc. Don't know how I ever lived without one...

Blog Entries
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...200C/203555573

I have this one. It is a good tool.

I've been using the Bostitch line for 30 years now and I've been really satisfied with the product line. Their gun line is nice and stable and some have been in production for over 30 years. I like this because that means they're common and parts can be had for the older guns. For a 15g, I'd recommend sticking to the angled magazine style. If you get into any trim work, the clearance provided by sloping the magazine will be mandatory. My next suggestion is the check your favorite supply source for nails that they stock. There are some guns out there that use a less than common nail that can be hard to source. Now that my gun collection is getting up there, I made a "Note" in my iPhone to keep a list of the model numbers and types of nails that I want. This way, when I want "finish nails", I know what I should be shopping for.

Another great place to buy air tools,pawn shops. If the OP is on a tight budget check them out.

I know the OP said air nailer. I already have an air nailer, so I'm not in the market, but recently I have been exposed to the cordless 18v line of finish nailers. It has 1 tremendous advantage that I can visualize. No air hose that drags on your recently final sanded or finished wood. Not often that this may have to be done, but I have left those hose black marks on my freshly sanded shelf.........
    The LiIon batteries are changing the tool world. The Hitachi cordless finish nailer cycles almost as fast as an air nailer, but, for a finish nailer, cycle speed is at the bottom of my list. They are not cheap, but if I were to start anew, I would seriously take a hard look at one. I have played with the Hitachi at a demo show, and I was impressed. Others make them too. Just thought I'd throw this out there, didn't see anyone else mention it. Yeah, its a lot more clunky, but I think I could get used to that. My corded drill is a lot lighter and smaller than my cordless, but I don't even think of using it anymore. Not having an air hose to drag about? I could get used to that.
    Just my $0.02.

The Freeman nailer kit came today and my first impression is that I like it, though the truth will come once I have had an opportunity to use put them to use. I ordered it through Home Depot, delivered by FedEx and arrived in good shape with no damage and with all of the parts. I’m doing a read-through of the manuals and am looking forward to doing some tinkering around with them in the shop.

Freeman Nailers.jpg

Jim,
    Which Grex do you have?