Thread: Remove Rabitting Ledge From Jointer?

Remove Rabitting Ledge From Jointer?

Hi,

I think i know the answer, but thought I would ask in case I am missing something.

I have an 8 inch jointer, and a need to joint/flatten boards a bit wider than 8 inches. My jointer has a rabbiting ledge ( for lack of the correct term) attached to the front table. This needs to be removed in order to joint an 8 inch portion of a wider board, before using proven methods to finish the job on the planer.

This is what I am referring to:

DF021E06-8846-46B0-856F-D49DA3AD75E6.jpg

My question is:

Is there any reason to put the rabitting ledge back on the jointer if I never plan to use the jointer for rabbiting?

I can not think of why I would need to reinstall it, but I have been known to miss the obvious so I thought I should ask rather than learn the hard way.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You don't need to remove it. If your board is wider, you are simply rabbetting by default with the pass over the machine. Make sure your cut is deep enough to require only one pass. The ledge is at the same level as the front table which is what your rough face is running on anyway. What you need to do is invent a temporary guard as the leg'o'mutton guard will be in the way. Concentrate on that. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

On my 6" jointer, I replaced pork chop guard, with a TEE guard that attaches to the fence. On the in feed table, I added a piece of 1/4" plywood that lined up with the outer edge of the cutter head . This allowed for multiple passes needed to flatten face of board. Then attach 1/4" plywood to jointed area of board and run thru planer till flattened on other side. Flip board, remove carrier board and flatten second side.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    You don't need to remove it. If your board is wider, you are simply rabbetting by default with the pass over the machine. Make sure your cut is deep enough to require only one pass. The ledge is at the same level as the front table which is what your rough face is running on anyway. What you need to do is invent a temporary guard as the leg'o'mutton guard will be in the way. Concentrate on that. Cheers
    Wayne,

I am not sure I am good enough to make a board flat in one pass. I realize if only one pass is needed nothing needs to be removed.

But I cannot see the need for that piece if one is not rabbiting. Seems to serve no purpose really, if not rabbiting.

Comes off easily, and goes back on easily, but why bother with it if it is never being used? I’m inclined to remove it and store it until needed, if that ever happens. Just wondering if this makes sense...

Bill

I’d put it back on because no matter how good you are at storing things it will be lost when the time comes to sell or pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I’d put it back on because no matter how good you are at storing things it will be lost when the time comes to sell or pass it on.
    Peter,

That is the point I was missing! Got my answer.

Bill you are correct, for rabbet it has to be lower than the table or you can only make one pass.

You should be able to loosen the ear and drop it down a bit.

Having a Rabbiting ledge Makes it far easier and milling raised panels on the jointer. Here’s the fixture I use on my little 6 inch .
    jack
    English machines

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    Having a Rabbiting ledge Makes it far easier and milling raised panels on the jointer. Here’s the fixture I use on my little 6 inch .
    Jack, does the end of your knife have a round to it?

Thanks Jack. A method I never knew about. I won't be able to do it though as my jointer doesn't have and adjustable outfield table.