Thread: Flush mount exterior sign (MDO)

Flush mount exterior sign (MDO)

We're starting to get more and more request for outdoor signs. I've got the production process down, but I'm having issues finding the best way to mount signs flush to walls.

How are signs like this one normally mounted? Is there something like a french cleat that won't simply lift off? Or are they using an adhesive? I can't see much space if any off the wall.

icm_fullxfull.189488610_ajznxql5cyogos8kwgko.jpg
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I have done them many ways. Most often, drill holes, countersink and screw onto wall near the corners, fill and paint over screws. I have also left off the dimensional lettering, hidden the mounting screws under where the lettering goes, then mount the letters. Depending on the weight, on smoother surfaces just use a good adhesive like E6000 and a few strips of 3M VHB double sided tape to hold while it sets.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks Joe. The issue I'm having with this particular project is I'm mailing the sign for the customer to install. I was hoping for something where he didn't have to do anything to the actual sign. I'm going to find out if the landlord will allow the E6000 adhesive. Does it usually damage the wall considerably if it has to be removed at a later date?
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

Panelclip. Made by Brooklyn Hardware Mfg., in Oregon.
    It's basically a French/ Dutch cleat made from aluminum.
    A #8 screw with a cup-washer fits nicely into the mounting channel.
    For heavier jobs, there is the Kingclip. 1/4" lagbolts can be used with them.
    www,panelclip.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    Thanks Joe. The issue I'm having with this particular project is I'm mailing the sign for the customer to install. I was hoping for something where he didn't have to do anything to the actual sign. I'm going to find out if the landlord will allow the E6000 adhesive. Does it usually damage the wall considerably if it has to be removed at a later date?
    Scrape off and repaint, maybe some fill needed.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Thanks guys. After all that he just wants front mounted bolts.

I do appreciate the information though, and would love to hear any more tricks people have used as this is a growing part of our business.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

I often do a 'keyhole' type of blind mount over screws fitted to the wall over a templateo
    Last edited by Ian Stewart-Koster; 02-11-2019 at 7:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Perhaps include a very small container of the paint you used, so they can touch up the bolts.

Sammamish, WA