Thread: Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze

Hello everyone I continue to add carving to my work and play with color, This is "Sea Breeze" a 7" D Cherry Bowl with a Teak Starfish Base.The coloring is DecoArt Metallics Acrylic applied w/ an airbrush.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

That is beautiful and creative. I really like it!

Niece piece. Clever rim design, both inner and outer. I like the green color - is that several layers?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Trice View Post
    That is beautiful and creative. I really like it!
    Thank you very much Jenny very nice of you to say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Niece piece. Clever rim design, both inner and outer. I like the green color - is that several layers?

JKJ
    John thank you very much, I think you are asking how many layers of color? If so yes there are several.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    John thank you very much, I think you are asking how many layers of color? If so yes there are several.
    I didn't ask that clearly. I meant are there layers of different colors - a base layer of one color then perhaps other thinner layers of different shades? I've been experimenting with color a little - airbrush and dry brush, and layering colors seems to be an interesting technique. I watched Jack Vesery do some color work at the TAW a few weeks ago. He was using a dry brush technique over carving and said he often uses 20 layers or more. I have no idea how that would work with air brushing.

Our club in Knoxville has Graeme Priddle and Melissa coming this summer for a surface workshop so I'll try to pay attention then, too!

I also meant to ask - do you mostly carve by hand with gouges and such, with rotary or recip tools, or both?

I like the stand too!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I didn't ask that clearly. I meant are there layers of different colors - a base layer of one color then perhaps other thinner layers of different shades? I've been experimenting with color a little - airbrush and dry brush, and layering colors seems to be an interesting technique. I watched Jack Vesery do some color work at the TAW a few weeks ago. He was using a dry brush technique over carving and said he often uses 20 layers or more. I have no idea how that would work with air brushing.

Our club in Knoxville has Graeme Priddle and Melissa coming this summer for a surface workshop so I'll try to pay attention then, too!

I also meant to ask - do you mostly carve by hand with gouges and such, with rotary or recip tools, or both?

I like the stand too!

JKJ
    Thanks again John, I see what your asking now, in this case there was a base coat of WB poly sanded back on the areas to be colored then I mixed my color w/ a few different Decoart Acrylics to get the shade I was looking for and applied in several layers . I do most of my carving by hand w/ Flexcut tools and others I've picked up on the way, but there are times I use a Dremel; On this piece the Shells were all hand carved but the flutes in the side of the bowl were done w/ the Dremel. The Starfish base was turned, cut on the band saw then carved, sanded and textured w/ the Dremel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks again John, I see what your asking now, in this case there was a base coat of WB poly sanded back on the areas to be colored then I mixed my color w/ a few different Decoart Acrylics to get the shade I was looking for and applied in several layers . I do most of my carving by hand w/ Flexcut tools and others I've picked up on the way, but there are times I use a Dremel; On this piece the Shells were all hand carved but the flutes in the side of the bowl were done w/ the Dremel. The Starfish base was turned, cut on the band saw then carved, sanded and textured w/ the Dremel.
    Thanks!

If you like aquatic themes, you might be interested in chip-carver Bill Johnson's work. I ran into him once in NC and we communicated for some time, I sent him turnings to carve. He carves then textures the surface with chips, somehow well-balancing both the regular patterns with the organic shapes. I especially like his turtles with the compass rose symbolizing their reported navigation abilities.

turtles_bill_johnson.jpg

More at http://www.carolinamountainreefs.com...d-aquatic.html

JKJ

WOW John those Turtles are very nice indeed, This is sorta the way I want to go w/ my turnings in fact I've been thinking about doing Turtles as a subject. I would like to get the 3-D look of critters coming out of my turnings or turning turnings into 3-D critters. Oh the possibilities are endless and so much fun to make.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WOW John those Turtles are very nice indeed, This is sorta the way I want to go w/ my turnings in fact I've been thinking about doing Turtles as a subject. I would like to get the 3-D look of critters coming out of my turnings or turning turnings into 3-D critters. Oh the possibilities are endless and so much fun to make.
    Have you tried chip carving? It's pretty easy. I decided to learn it a few years ago and after a month or so of practice I started carving simple patterns on turnings and then some lettering. I've posted some pictures before so sorry if they are old hat.

practice_comp.jpg

chip_ornament_carvingIMG_43.jpg chip_carved_ornaments3.jpg chip_carved_goblet_c.jpg

chip_mess.jpg chip_script.jpg

BOC_A_comp.jpg BOC_C_Jack_01_IMG_6687.jpg

JKJ

No I have not tried any as of yet like those John, but I do patterns I'm working on one now I'll be posting it soon. No lettering yet either, That would take me back many years ago I was an engraver for printing and cut all types of styles for letter heads, wedding invitations..etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]