Thread: Those were the days...

Blog Entries

Those were the days...

I found this video- apologies if it's been shared here before. It's just an old video of various hand-tool woodworking from the good ol' days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJicqhd37t8

Thanks for posting that. I had some old guys working for me, when I first started building houses in the 1970's, that had started around that time. All could sharpen a handsaw, as well as circular saws, and tune a plane. They've all left here now, but I enjoyed their company, and learned a lot from them.

Tom, I bet they all called electric drills "drill motors".

The oldest one did. Mr. Randolph Pierce. He was 73 when I hired him in 1974. He had grown up on a farm, but hated farming, and loved building. His last few years, he didn't work, but came almost every day to hang out, and watch us work. He always kept a wooden crate of small bottles of Coke in his van, and would put one in his small metal cooler when he took a cold one out. The last day I saw him, he shook my hand, and gave me the best compliment I've ever received, since it was coming from him-but not to be repeated here.

That was an extremely enjoyable watch. The good old days without doubt.

Watched my grandfather do that very work in the late 50's early 60's at the age of 10 or 11. Wanted to be a carpenter, but my parents didn't want that at all. I just never got a chance after that until retirement.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Hi All,

During the section on Pattern Making, I kept hoping to see an Emmert Pattern Makers Vise, maybe even in the background, but didn' see one. Did anyone see such, and I just misssed it?

Malcolm, thanks for posting it, very interesting and enjoyable. I am planning to watch it again tomorrow.

Part of what they called "rough carpentry" we used to call "framing." In the little town where I worked for a carpenter when I was young the carpenters did everything, but in the big towns the guys on the big crews speacialized as "framers" and "finish men."

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-09-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Interesting to see the balloon framing.

Sean,

I noticed the baloon framing also. I don't know when Baloon framing was ended due to the fire danger it posed, but it was before I carpentered back in the early 70s.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Yeah, I was very fortunate to have been able to hang out with my Great Aunt Annie Mae's bridge partner's husband, a fine cabinetmaker, who was very patient with me and my questions (wish I'd asked more). Very glad to have a tool box which I knocked together out of scraps one afternoon at his direction (though it's becoming something of an impediment to how I arrange my tools --- thinking I should break down and set it aside for rough carpentry tools only).

Here's another good one (a series on several trades) in Ireland. This one is about furniture-makers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx2y7MAys20

I used to have an uncle who was a painter. No rollers or sprayers back then. Walls, ceilings, sides of buildings and everything was done with a brush.

Chris
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Malcolm you make many of us feel like fossils. There are still of few around that look at that as yesterday not the olden days. I remember well starting new houses with no electrical and none on site for a month or so. The fifties and sixties are not ancient history yet
    Jim

Some good tips : " start saving your change to buy tools". I got a kick out of the long takes of the segment signs.
    "Mr. Turner, COLORIZE this film !"

I've posted this before, but this is what we watched in shop class to teach how to use and take care of tools. Still makes me smile to remember.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkOOtd3GmY