Thread: Waterlox Satin questin

Waterlox Satin questin

Do I have to (as the can says) use Waterlox Original under the satin finish? I understand the mfr's position here. I just wonder if there's something about skipping the use of the original and just doing 3 coats of the satin that would cause the finish to fail.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    Do I have to (as the can says) use Waterlox Original under the satin finish? I understand the mfr's position here. I just wonder if there's something about skipping the use of the original and just doing 3 coats of the satin that would cause the finish to fail.

TIA
    The 'lox police will come and take you away. Are you ready to say goodbye to the life you have?

But seriously, I've wondered the same thing. Although that wonder hasn't stopped me from going straight to satin and, as far as I know, no failures. Some pieces going on 20 years now. I've been known to stray from manufacturer's recommendations, but did so knowing at least a little about the chemistry or other mechanisms involved. I can't imagine their concern, but would curious to hear their reasoning.

Unsure about Waterlox but some use flattening agents in other than gloss finishes which tend to obscure the the wood grain.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

It’s not a problem to go straight to satin but it could be somewhat hazy with multiple coats. Satin is also a bit thicker than the Original ie. higher solids content.