Thread: How to store Klingspor's 10 lb box

How to store Klingspor's 10 lb box

I just got my 10 lb bargain box from Klingspor. Now I need to figure out how to store it so I can find what I need when I need it.

How do others store random sizes/grits of sandpaper? There has to be a better way than leaving it rolled up in several rolls in the box. Of course it wants to stay rolled up and not lay flat at all. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    I put them into a plastic file box. I take a pair of tin snips to the pieces that will not fit. I fill the extra space with a foam block. For pieces long enough to be rolled, I cut them to a reasonable width, roll them and . . .

19-38-stand(25).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I put one of each in a small box on my workbench--the rest is in the shipping box, with BIG sharpie writing on the top shelf of my storage. Been meaning to build a rod to put the current stock on, and hang a pair of scissors from it--would sure be more convenient!!
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I just got my 10 lb bargain box from Klingspor. Now I need to figure out how to store it so I can find what I need when I need it.

How do others store random sizes/grits of sandpaper? There has to be a better way than leaving it rolled up in several rolls in the box. Of course it wants to stay rolled up and not lay flat at all. Any ideas?
    I've never gotten one of their boxes. Are the rolls like the 1" and 2" wide Klingspor Gold rolls I buy to use at the lathe?

If so, I made a dispenser for the wall behind the lathe and tear off short pieces as needed. Thin birch ply disks separate the grits.

lathe_wall_IMG_5749.jpg lathe_wall_papertowel_IMG_5.jpg

JKJ

Is this what they do with all the Klingspor abrasives I have sent back to the supplier because of quality issues... Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Wayne, I'm curious....what sort of quality issues did you experience?

Grinding discs that last forever because they don't actually remove metal, sandpaper that is paper with not much sand and what sand there is rapidly vanishes, velcro discs that have very few loops to attach to the hooks on the sander pad, belts that turn into piles of string when you start the linisher - should I go on? I just don't buy anything with that brand. It hasn't mattered what wholesaler I buy through either. There are plenty of alternatives that perform and are no different or cheaper in price. Maybe the factory that supplies your market has better quality control. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I don't know much about the other Klingspor abrasives (some I tried didn't impress me), but for the wood lathe the Klingspor Gold rolls are all I use in grits up to 400. The backing is a heavy, tough cloth. The aluminum oxide is coated with something to reduce loading that really works - a 2-second cleaning will restore the surface several times. The Gold works well on metals and plastics too. Over the years I've tried sandpaper from other sources (sold by Woodcraft, etc) and for me it's no contest.

I use more 400 grit than anything: https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sr00787/

I use only two types of sandpaper at the lathe, the Klingspor Gold and the Rhynowet Redline for 600-1200 grit. I find the Rhynowet in incredible for finer work, a lot because of the type of backing and grit bonding they use. I first found Rhynowet at Highland Hardware in Atlanta but now get it from Supergrit: http://www.supergrit.com/products/RedlineRedFlexSheets

I haven't tried any of Klingspor disks. Since I started using negative rake and hand scrapers I have little use for power sanding with disks, other than fine grits with a gentle 2 or 3" pneumatic ROS.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Grinding discs that last forever because they don't actually remove metal, sandpaper that is paper with not much sand and what sand there is rapidly vanishes, velcro discs that have very few loops to attach to the hooks on the sander pad, belts that turn into piles of string when you start the linisher - should I go on? I just don't buy anything with that brand. It hasn't mattered what wholesaler I buy through either. There are plenty of alternatives that perform and are no different or cheaper in price. Maybe the factory that supplies your market has better quality control. Cheers

I use an old hanging file cabinet with files for the various grits.Lower drawer for manuals and saved drawings. Fits under TS outfeed table.