Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Workshop Build

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    More progress. All of the interior electric is run.
    8136D869-C23E-4910-9945-3876E7A02610.jpg
    D084A87B-6041-4C11-8D09-896B6666C731.jpg

    Oh, and the bandsaw came in

    86719F12-1920-43ED-9176-EF3DC2652588.jpg
    Last edited by John Isgren; 03-10-2019 at 6:22 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    MT
    Posts
    262
    Good on you John. I am a ways behind you but will enjoy seeing your progress.
    Regards,

    Kris

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US Virgin Islands
    Posts
    3,151
    Blog Entries
    6
    That is going to be a great space. 12x26 is a very ideal shop size- not too big, and not too small. I have roughly 12x14 and I would love to have that extra 12' to add power tools. I now have a 30' long space for power tools but it's not on site and I wish it were.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rice, VA
    Posts
    1,100
    Is that a disconnect or is your power coming into it directly?

    Sorry, didnt look back far enough. All good.
    Last edited by Richard Jones; 03-11-2019 at 5:24 PM.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

    Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Is that a disconnect or is your power coming into it directly?

    Sorry, didnt look back far enough. All good.
    Thanks! I am learning about NEC as I go. Fortunately I have a couple of master electricians looking over my shoulders! Even though we do not have any inspections out in the country, I am sticking to code in my build.


    320 amp meter base with 2-200 amp disconnects on out side of barn. Each disconnect feeds a 200 amp panel: one in the shop and one in the apartment. Finally the shop panel feeds a 100amp sub in the feed room.

    In the shop there are 4-240v/30amp circuits for the power tools, the dust collector is on switch in the middle of the room. All 10ga wire. For the the 110v system, all circuits are 12ga (20amp) except things like the air compressor where I still ran 10ga. The welder is on a 240v/40amp circuit with 8ga. I have 5-120v circuits including a reel from the ceiling.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    Shop Update

    Now that I have been working in the shop I have modified my plans a bit. Biggest change is I no longer am planning for a powered jointer I really like my #7! (I did run 220v power if I change my mind)

    Second major change is the work benches. The old legs that I am using just are not sturdy enoungh, the cheap Woodriver vise is terrible, and finally the bench is way too low (I am 6’6”) What I am planning now is to use the top I made and convert the bench on the wall to a Joinery Bench. This will be a Paul Seller style English bench with a Veritas twin-screw vise. This bench will start out at 46” tall. (Easier to lower as needed)

    The bench in the center will be a hybrid with “Roubo” style on one side with face vise and plane stop on one side and a Nicholson style edge planing set up on the other, including crochet. Inspired by Third Coast Craftsman’s “Perfect Bench” This bench will be 40” tall which will match the height of the tablesaw and welding table to give me outfeed options. Both bench will have planing stops and holdfasts.

    231912FB-713D-4424-A936-C6346E7ADFC8.jpg
    Last edited by John Isgren; 03-19-2019 at 8:52 AM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    I have 2/3 of the lights up, going to be very nice once the 3rd strip is in.

    DEFA318A-0F24-4C0F-87BD-50A9F3AB9B1C.jpg

    These are 8 ft commercial fixtures, each with 4 - 2200 lumen LED tubes. Design is based on the lighting sticky above. I wanted at least 100 lumen/sqft with a loss factor of 0.5.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    Lights are done. Incredibly even, bright light!

    DBF9BA08-8A7A-4E48-88F7-BD7D2B7E452C.jpg

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    1 French cleat wall, 2 more to go.

    1F9915BF-22C6-47C0-BEBD-5A245E220FB3.jpg

  11. #26
    Nice workshop.
    I am similar size to you and my main bench is also 40", my joinery bench is very similar to what you are planning, but 44" high, 46" might be too high.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Isgren View Post
    Shop Update

    Now that I have been working in the shop I have modified my plans a bit. Biggest change is I no longer am planning for a powered jointer I really like my #7! (I did run 220v power if I change my mind)

    Second major change is the work benches. The old legs that I am using just are not sturdy enoungh, the cheap Woodriver vise is terrible, and finally the bench is way too low (I am 6’6”) What I am planning now is to use the top I made and convert the bench on the wall to a Joinery Bench. This will be a Paul Seller style English bench with a Veritas twin-screw vise. This bench will start out at 46” tall. (Easier to lower as needed)

    The bench in the center will be a hybrid with “Roubo” style on one side with face vise and plane stop on one side and a Nicholson style edge planing set up on the other, including crochet. Inspired by Third Coast Craftsman’s “Perfect Bench” This bench will be 40” tall which will match the height of the tablesaw and welding table to give me outfeed options. Both bench will have planing stops and holdfasts.

    231912FB-713D-4424-A936-C6346E7ADFC8.jpg

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    Nice workshop.
    I am similar size to you and my main bench is also 40", my joinery bench is very similar to what you are planning, but 44" high, 46" might be too high.
    I figure that I will start with 46” and can always cut it down if needed. Hard to stretch the legs later.

  13. #28
    When I worked from an 12 x 20 storage unit I placed the workbench across the O/H door opening with the table saw directly behind. Sheet goods slid right off my truck onto the table saw height workbench which was a real back-saver for working alone.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thicket, TX
    Posts
    99
    Walls are in and I will finish up the cleats and paint today.

    DAF19098-1137-4A05-8CE6-1F31960820C5.jpg

    Bought a small rolling toolbox to use as a sharpening station. It will get a larger wooden top when I rebuild my workbench. Until I build a tool cabinet it also holds all of my hand tools, except my saws and drills.

    DBCA0B20-BC72-4922-A28C-AE63A4A56190.jpg

    FF573CE1-1656-4DA5-8DEF-F09ECE021330.jpg

    22928C09-E731-41CC-ACE7-06B16BD53443.jpg

    BB576DE9-1A1A-42FB-A653-0F77D0984729.jpg

    18EA0559-5977-451B-BCB7-E36A893D70F9.jpg

    AD7556B8-EEA9-48EA-A1DC-1F4169DD40C4.jpg

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    633
    Hi John
    It's coming along nicely. Wish I had your high ceiling.

    You will soon find that all your tools will slide to the back of the drawers. You might want to turn your chisels around so they hit with the handle end, and get that rasp out of the way.

    How did you come by that collection of moulding planes?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •