Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workshop Build

Workshop Build

I thought I would go ahead and start a thread to cover my workshop build. We just built. 70x100 barn and I was “granted” a workshop space of 12x26. This shop will be a combination workspace that will be mostly hand tool focused, but have sheet good/cabinetry capabilities as well as light metal working.

On the end of the shop is a 8x8’ insulated, roll up door and the entrance is through the powder room.

1E334E3C-FB64-4148-BC86-789E164227B8.jpg

The barn is up and this is what the shop looked like initially
    B3A07402-FB4D-41F5-9241-B8D4B2058FEA.jpg
    To the right is the apartment and the ceilings in the shop are 11-16ft so I will have lumber storage above the apartment.

i did build a small bench to get started with
    82B83A67-5DDB-4844-B2DF-9E26688B0BC6.jpg

Last weekend the main focus was to get the power meter and disconnects installed and ready for the power company to inspect. Passed yesterday so we should have power in a couple of weeks.

B56C0E32-9A60-4515-A31A-7764C8A59835.jpg348A9D3A-99BB-420B-AF61-4B26CF9A859F.jpg

Looking good John! Looks like you're gonna have a nice new shop!

John,
    if you are going to be using sheet goods you will need to move the table saw off the wall. It takes a large infeed area, a large side support and off take table. I have such a set up and it’s huge. My side support reaches almost to the wall but as the power conduit and dust conduit come under it that works well. You won’t be able to walk in circles in that space.

First position the table saw on the plan, then the dust collector near it on the wall. Then add the other large tools to the plan. Make scale cutouts for the plan it really helps.

Do you need sheet goods storage? I would try for that just outside the shop as your space is tight. Mine is an 8’ high wheeled monster, the wheels would work if there was 4 of me!

You may have to butt the main bench end up near a side wall. The assembly bench needs to be freestanding to work around it, mine is on wheels also; that I can move.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

All of the power tools, including the welding table will be on rollers. The drawing is to scale and the tools are shown in their storage positions. If needed they can be rolled out to the middle of the main barn alleyway.

This will be mostly a hand tool shop, and the sheet goods will be one-off type projects and I don’t want to store any. My plan is to break down panels with my circular saw with the Kregg guides out in the barn.

Wheels and extension cords are not appealing, especially when dust collection is involved. I too break down things with a worm drive saw but not panels. The proportion of hand tool space and machines is similar! I enjoy the hand tools and just use the machines.

Breaking down panels you will collect off cuts. Some storage is inevitable, and you will use them.

You certainly have a flying start with machines.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Actually I don’t have any machine except the Ryobi tablesaw. The rest is just layout for power right now.

How big is your workbench John? My shop space is 11 x 22 with a nice collection of machines. I might be able to add some input.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimA Thornton View Post
    How big is your workbench John? My shop space is 11 x 22 with a nice collection of machines. I might be able to add some input.

Jim
    The current one against the wall is 24”x7’. The one in the middle will be 30”x7’.

I am really keeping the machines to a minimum to have for one off projects. I have a small Ryobi table saw and a small Ryobi suitcase style planer and I will purchase a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by John Isgren View Post
    The current one against the wall is 24”x7’. The one in the middle will be 30”x7’.

I am really keeping the machines to a minimum to have for one off projects. I have a small Ryobi table saw and a small Ryobi suitcase style planer and I will purchase a bandsaw.
    If you turn the main bench 90 degrees and then work (stand) between the main bench and assembly bench (what I call my back bench) you have a handy place to store all the junk that ends up on the main bench (at least that's what happens to me). My table saw (Unisaw) and jointer are in the middle of the room and I use the main bench for an outfeed table for my table saw. I wish I had that extra foot of width that you have.

Several considerations if you have not considered

1) Finish area. This is the bane of my shop, no area that can be used for finish. while still doing other dust creating activities
    2) If you do not have a tablesaw yet, and mostly handwork is assumed, I would consider just the band-saw and a panel saw, like the festool its competitors that have good reviews. If I was redoing my purchases, I would try really hard to skip the tablesaw
    3) Space always becomes an issue, if you do not have a jointer and planer yet, and plan on more than a tabletop planer (which are very nice for what they do), I would consider a combination machine.

Good luck, looks like a great start!

I have a small Ryobi tablesaw and Ryobi benchtop planer. However, at some point I will get a Unisaw, 15” planer, and 8” jointer from my father so my layout is based on that. Right now the only machine that I am purchasing is a 17” bandsaw.

As far as finishing, I usually only have one project going at a time, but the shop is attached to a 2 bedroom guest apartment that I could use when no one is visiting.

Hi John
    Congrats on the new shop.

Consider never getting the jointer. It is a space hog and you can get by without it.

Good move making a bench centered shop, where you can work all the way around the bench.

Consider using your main bench for assembly, you will want to get all the way around a piece when assembling it.

Consider a small but tall second bench, mine is 41" high and 24" x 24" I do a lot of close work there.

My dust collector is a Dust Cobra. It has a smaller footprint. It is a crossover machine between collector and shop vac.

Can you install anything outside your 12 x 26 space, compressor, dust collector, storage?

My shop got much better when I built my tool cabinet. 17 drawers, mostly shallow but each configured for the tools to be held. It cleared the walls and floor and misc storage cabinets, opening things up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 02-15-2019 at 7:49 AM.

Really can’t put too much outside shop. I though about mounting dust collector out side, but now am considering conditioning the shop so that is not practical. I already have a small 1hp dust collector so will set that up with a Super Dust Deputy and garbage can.

Josh, Great fun. You must be very excited. Here's a few things that come to mind.
    - try to define a specific reference height for horizontal surfaces. That gives you something to work with when building and buying things. E.g. I am tall and use 36".
    - for example, the rolling table saw / infeed / outfeed table issue is solved if you make it all meet at the same height as your workbench, assembly table and saw horses.
    - get your wiring done and hang your walls. I went French cleat with mostly 2' x 4' panels and love it.
    - spray everything with inexpensive white paint (walls and ceiling) after roughing in.
    - LED lighting is unpleasant in the living room but makes it real easy to see detail in the shop.
    - install Dricore 2' x 2' floor panels from the home center. They are great and provide the vapor barrier, some insulation and comfort and are easy to maintain.
    - get a great cyclone dust collector and arrange things so you can just drag a 4" hose to your machines when and where needed. Do pipes only if and when needed.
    - dart board goes on the wall between the drill press and welding area, right?

Great shop space.

Good day in the shop! Power company came by and hooked me up! No more generator. Ran 3 of my 120 v circuits. Next up lighting!

C606CA42-3494-47E1-9A35-594875A01171.jpg