Thread: Plastic Laminate on Baltic Birch Plywood

Plastic Laminate on Baltic Birch Plywood

I am using Baltic Birch plywood to build some cabinets. I want to put a wood grain Formica laminate on the outside and finish the inside with a couple of coats of poly.

Do I need to be concerned wth the plywood warping? I hoping that with the stability of the BB plywood and finishing the inside, that i should not have a problem.

What does everyone think? Has anyone done this?

Thanks

It will likely warp a lot.

Unless the humidity and temperature is near constant year round, and everything is acclimated before fabrication.

Laminate both sides, and you shouldn't have any issues.
    Gerry

JointCAM

No issue with applying laminate to baltic birch, but both sides is normally indicated unless you have an internal structure that prevents movement. Same holds true if you veneer.

{And...never use an oil based varnish on the inside of anything. It will off-gas "forever" and anything you put in there will continually smell like the finish. Use a water borne product or shellac. (or lacquer if you have a safe environment to spray it)}
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 with Jim.

Laminate both sides and you won't have any warping. It will stay as flat as the day you laminated it. If both sides are laminated, you won't need a finish for the inside.
    I build exhibits for science museums and do this frequently.

Charley

For the interior, you can use backer sheets. This is the same material as the laminate used on the outside, but it is thin and it has no texture. It balances the panel against warping, and it is easy to clean. It is just plain brown. It is less expensive than the sheets used on the exterior.

If you can't laminate both sides, three coats of shellac is probably your best alternative. I seem to recall Flexner doing tests on finishes a while back and that had the best resistance to water vapor (not water contact though). Plus it won't smell like drying poly for years.

Using lumber core may allow you to Formica one side only. I have had success with large flat panels doing it that way.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."