Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started with what I have

I haven’t posted in awhile, but I am wrapping up the saw bench. Between the barn buildout and ranch work I have not had a lot of time. I cut my first set of mortise and tenon joints and was very pleased how 3 of the 4 came together. The fifth I learned what happens when you use the wrong face to register one side on the mortise... I also learned what happens when you panic about the joint not fitting and start paring without putting work back in the vise.
    image.jpg
    Fortunately nothing serious, just a cut, but good reminder if “line-of-fire”.
    I will likely build a second bench right away since all of my mistakes and problems are fresh in my head.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good on you for starting with what you've got. Resist the tendency to buy because everyone says you should, but find your own needs by trying to do the work with what you have. I could offer a list of all kinds of useful next tools, but then I'd be doing what I shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by John Isgren View Post
    Fortunately nothing serious, just a cut, but good reminder if “line-of-fire”.
    Most hand tool accidents are not serious, at least compared to the monthly “I mangled my hand in my table saw” threads. As long as you keep everything behind the chisel and push/strike away from you, it is hard to get seriously hurt.

I'm glad you came out of that project with just a scratch (a flesh wound, as the Monty Python knight might say). Apropos of nothing, I picked up a couple of these for when I do paring work (this might be considered an amateur move, but it works for me): https://www.rockler.com/thumb-and-finger-guards

Just want to put that out there. Keep us updated on the build progress!

Never stress about the time. There is rarely enough of it, keep chipping away, you're making good progress.

I am pretty satisfied with how it is coming together for my first time doing most of this!

4FF0644D-50D3-459C-A11C-A78FA2974E74.jpg

It has issues, but it is pretty square
    Last edited by John Isgren; 03-19-2019 at 9:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    First rule of chisels: Keep your fingers and all other body parts behind the edge.

Be careful, thems things is sharp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)