Thread: Oneway Bowl Steady wheels

Oneway Bowl Steady wheels

Does anyone know what size the wheels are on a Oneway Bowl Steady? I have one and would like to replace the wheels which are wearing. Oneway wants $10 each for the wheels and I see rollerblade wheels on Amazon for anywhere from $25- up for 8 wheels. I'm concerned about 2 things... the hardness rating and the bearing size. I don't know how important the hardness rating is... I guess I don't want something that is going to dent the bowl or something that is going to wear out too fast. Most bearings I see are ABEC9 which doesn't mean a lot to me... anyone ever replaced the wheels on this bowl steady and could help me with the ones I would need.... thanks

Barry, A thrift store may have a pair of slightly used blades, with 6 or 8 wheels for 2 bucks. If the shaft size is the same, I would use the highly calibrated finger nail test to determine the durometer - hardness. 9500 casters would be alittle too hard.

just go with roller blade wheels. If you are wearing them out, you are applying too much pressure. $10/wheel is way too much.
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

I found that skate board wheels are softer than roller blade wheels, less chance of marring and in some cases the extra width is nice to, just a option maybe you should look at.

Blog Entries
    Roller blade wheeles have a air chamber that pops loud when loaded to heavy . Roller skate wheeles are tougher but hard and leave some marks {bruising}. I neaver though about the skate board wheels thanks David .

Thanks for the replies...but no one has mentioned the bearings..am I to assume that all roller blade wheels have the same size bearing and that will be also be the size on my bowl steady??

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Thanks for the replies...but no one has mentioned the bearings..am I to assume that all roller blade wheels have the same size bearing and that will be also be the size on my bowl steady??
    I don't know what the bore is on your Oneway steady. I use the Clark rests and have seen and used many other brands over the years, the holes are typically universal. Call Oneway, ask what size the hole is and cross reference that with the cheaper wheels you find online.
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

Most roller blade wheels I have seen have 8mm center holes. A 5/16" bolt works just as well. Some of the cheaper wheels have oddball sizes and the spacers between the bearings are terrible or non existent. The bearings with flanges are to be avoided (just my opinion) your mileage may vary. Some of the wheels I have salvaged have very good bearings.

Clint

The bearings in mine are NIS 608Z. There is a brass bushing that extends through the I.D. of both bearings and they are mounted on a 1/4-28 socket head cap screw.