Thread: Would spray layer help?

Would spray layer help?

This morning, the finish on the top of the coffee table I am making was completely removed for the second time. It has been years since I have used stain and it dissolves in the urethane finish. This time I will wait 48 hours before applying the top coat instead of 24 hours. If that fails, could I apply a spray coat of urethane from a can prior to wiping on additional coats of the same brand?

Thanks!
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Yes! Spray should solve this. You could also spray dewaxed shellac, then do the poly. Either way, the stain should be dry first. 48 hours should do it, assuming not too cold or humid. And be sure all the stain excess is wiped off. You should be good.

Spraying a sealer/barrier coat is most often the best way to go because it more or less removes the possibility of picking up the colorant and altering it while applying that barrier coat. I use de-waxed shellac for that...either Zinsser in the spray bomb (which is de-waxed) or Zinsser Seal Coat through my own spray system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Are you wiping the stain off completely as you should? If not, that's your problem. If you are, then wait 72 hours before applying your topcoat and all should be fine. However, it never hurts to spray a coat of dewaxed shellac as a barrier, especially if using a wiping varnish.

John

I had left slightly heavier amounts to make the color more uniform. Is this not recommended? Thanks for your replies.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

The only stain you can leave on thick and not risk problems is gel stain; with all other wiping stains you need to wipe it off completely. If you have wood with inconsistent color it's best to start with a dye, then stain it, then seal it, then apply a gel stain if you still need some adjustment, seal it again, and then apply the topcoats. If you don't want to go to all that trouble, you can often do pretty well by applying a thinned coat of stain and then a second coat after the first has thoroughly dried. Just be sure to wipe both off completely.

John