Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MAN rated?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    It's too expensive to be THAT safe John. The difference between deformity and being uncomfortable for a few weeks starts at about $100k.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqml38fHALo

MAN that's the way to go MEC all the way. Get out the cheque book, buy a Robot and the machinery in box, hire a geek to play computer games (I mean program what you need) and watch the profits roll in. No monkeys to worry about making excuses for why they're late, then texting on their cell phone while whining the works too hard. Sorry Martin and Mark, I couldn't resist, its Friday afternoon and I see a beer with my name on it. Cheers!
    Last edited by John Kee; 02-08-2019 at 3:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    MAN that's the way to go MEC all the way. Get out the cheque book, buy a Robot and the machinery in box, hire a geek to play computer games (I mean program what you need) and watch the profits roll in. No monkeys to worry about making excuses for why they're late, then texting on their cell phone while whining the works too hard. Sorry Martin and Mark, I couldn't resist, its Friday afternoon and I see a beer with my name on it. Cheers!
    Kuka's are sub 10K bare right now. Your seeing them in hobby and design shops more and more. 9 axis forget about 5 axis.. Times are moving fast.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIJME8-au8

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    That was particularly fun to watch. I did wonder if the robot really played table tennis so well, or if it was a bit of hollywood magic.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    He looked a bit like he wasn’t trying, not like he was truly bested. One would think he would have looked pretty sour if he was really beaten by a robot.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

That last one was scary. Elon Musk is right, we should be terrified of AI. Give that thing consciousness and it will murder us all. Probably by the end of the week.

That last one was scary. Elon Musk is right, we should be terrified of AI. Give that thing consciousness and it will murder us all. Probably by the end of the week.
    In mental games (poker, chess, go, etc) pretty much most of them they win humans now big time. In physical activities and doing what humans can do they are catching up too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I

The world per Gene Roddenberry. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    In mental games (poker, chess, go, etc) pretty much most of them they win humans now big time. In physical activities and doing what humans can do they are catching up too:

But they are limited by their programming and not sentient. They aren't writing their own protocols. When? If? that happens, we're cooked.

But they are limited by their programming and not sentient. They aren't writing their own protocols. When? If? that happens, we're cooked.
    It has surpassed that point. We don't really know how those programs "work" really. The program itself learns how to behave from repeated try and failure.
    Read about the AlphaZero. For instance, by simply telling the rules of the game (chess) it has trained itself in 24 hours to beat any human player. No "play" coded into it.

It has surpassed that point. We don't really know how those programs "work" really. The program itself learns how to behave from repeated try and failure.
    Read about the AlphaZero. For instance, by simply telling the rules of the game (chess) it has trained itself in 24 hours to beat any human player. No "play" coded into it.
    Its similar to a Ted talk I recently watched where they fed a learning computer something like the rules and specifications of Indy Car racing and the computer engineered an organic fuselage that was far more advanced than anything to date.

As mind blown as I am with the stuff that comes out of Boston Dynamics I really do wonder if they, or some incantation of them, will be our first foray into the world of Cyberdyne Systems. The stuff coming out of that shop is utterly unreal and I can only imagine the stuff we dont get to see.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    That was particularly fun to watch. I did wonder if the robot really played table tennis so well, or if it was a bit of hollywood magic.
    I myself found the term "truth in advertising" popping into my head but I would imagine the company is not too interested in falsely advertising itself.

Sometimes I wish I didn't approach cabinetry the way I did. With sheet stock, a lights out operation is completely possible right now. All you need is humans to pull maintenance and keep supplies in the stream. The technology to read grain and color then defect accordingly is probably there, but the industry doesn't have enough money in it to ever make it pay. Yet.