Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felder KF500 Pro question

Question Felder KF500 Pro question

Looking at a used 2007 era KF500 Professional and have some questions.

Anyone know if this unit can use router bits in the shaper? Seller doesn’t think so but searching seems to imply with a proper collet it’s possible. If so, does Felder carry needed parts for a machine this age?

Also, how much space to either side of the blade center do I need for the total slide movement? I’m having a hard time pinning down if I have enough space for the slide to move from full back position to full forward position.

Anything else to consider with with regards to this machine versus the current units?

thanks.

On the second question, what is the length of the wagon? My 2600mm/8'6" slider requires 19' for a full end-to-end throw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Felder k700 ,I think mine is 21' total on a 10' slide.

I think it is 2050mm or 80.7 inches. Not sure if the saw is still available but it was recently listed. About a 5 hour drive from me. Just thinking it might be a good alternative to my current cabinet saw with separate router table if it actually fits my small space.

This saw does have the reduced 31” right side fence so that would help reduce horizontal footprint even though large cuts are left of blade.

Hey Greg, that machine should be able to take felder’s high speed router spindle. I actually have one for sale if you end up buying this machine and want to run router bits. I think it is an option with the machine when you order it. It should come standard with a 30mm or 1-1/4” spindle. It would have been an add on for the original purchaser to have the router bit collet.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I dug out the specs for floor print size on the used KF500 listed here on the forum, as well as the variants of the Hammer B3 and I just don’t have space for one without a major change up. I’d have to give up a bunch of tools I feel in order to gain the slider due to the outrigger table. Even when combined with the 31” right side setups, the outriggers would eat up a lot of floor space that I need for other things. With only 440 sq ft, I’m tight on space as it is. About the only way I think I could see it working for me is if I had gone with a full combo machine where the right side of the saw is the jointer/planer, but having just bought the A3-31 that isn’t an easy option now.

So, back to looking at a new fence on mine instead I guess.

...or...you would buy a winning lottery ticket and just get a bigger shop.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...or...you would buy a winning lottery ticket and just get a bigger shop.
    Ha. I wish. Maybe one day.

Hi, I normally don’t have the outrigger on the machine as it’s only used for big stuff. Saves a lot of space and when you want to use it it takes a minute and no tools to put it on.

I was under the impression that the spindles weren’t removable on those machines???

Regards, Rod

Thanks. Good point Rod. Not sure about the spindles. The owner didn’t seem to think so but the website indicates that there are options available. Maybe they have to be ordered and installed with original purchase though. I would want to be able to use router bits but maybe that isn’t practical in the same way a router table works as I’ve never used a shaper table.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, I normally don’t have the outrigger on the machine as it’s only used for big stuff. Saves a lot of space and when you want to use it it takes a minute and no tools to put it on.

I was under the impression that the spindles weren’t removable on those machines???

Regards, Rod

Just found the router module mentioned and it says must be ordered at time of machine build so it must not be swapable.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Thanks. Good point Rod. Not sure about the spindles. The owner didn’t seem to think so but the website indicates that there are options available. Maybe they have to be ordered and installed with original purchase though. I would want to be able to use router bits but maybe that isn’t practical in the same way a router table works as I’ve never used a shaper table.

You could consider a short-stroke slider and do longer rips conventionally, too. You get the precision for cross-cutting that way. Many of these machines have a shorter miter support that can stay on the machine so you don't have to sport a big outrigger all the time. I have been leaving my outrigger on the machine since I did some space adjusting, but for most of the time I've owned my slider the outrigger lived off the machine. so I could walk past it.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Just found the router module mentioned and it says must be ordered at time of machine build so it must not be swapable.
    Hi Greg, the new 500 series uses the MF spindle system which has the removable spindles, which is the Hammer system.

The larger models (700/900 series) have the full height removable spindles.

My Hammer has the fixed 1” solid spindle with sleeves for 1 1/4” and 30mm . That’s actually handy as I can share cutters between the saw and shaper.

The 500 is a nice machine, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.....Regards, Rod

So should I expect that a KF500 Pro will be the same table height as my A3-31? Only thinking that the combo machines have the jointer at table saw height but wasn’t sure about the separates. That might open up some placement options if they are the same height.

UPDATE

im buying the KF500 Pro listed here on our forum. Made a deal with the seller and going to pick it up on Saturday. Very excited even though I’ll be sad to see my PM66 go once I sell it.

speaking of my PM66, I’ll have it for sale soon if a local friend doesn’t end up taking it. It’s a pure caddy with all the bells and whistles. If he doesn’t buy it, I’ll list it soon for anyone near north Florida that wants some good ole fully restored American iron with lots of accessories.