I spent 30 years as a computer programmer. I viewed myself as a blue collar worker in a white collar world. But various companies insisted on calling me a software engineer and it bugged me. To me, engineers are degreed and licensed like doctors and lawyers. Civil engineers put their stamp on their work and go to jail if it's wrong. I held none of those qualifications.

My undergraduate degree was in education with an emphasis in Industrial Arts. I taught for 8 years. About 3 years in, I realized it was a bad fit and started taking community college programming classes. I left teaching and started writing software which was a much better fit for me (and the students).

I think my companies liked to call me an engineer because the title carries some prestige. My gut told me that they were sort of appropriating a title and I never liked it.

I find myself back in the workforce as "Director of Engineering". I actually am a little more comfortable with that. I'm not claiming to be an engineer, just overseeing a bunch of engineers. Sort of like a civilian commander in chief doesn't have to be a soldier.

So, to all you real engineers out there, am I being a bit over-sensitive? I really do respect the education you've attained and the work you do. It seems disrespectful for me to claim your hard-earned title.