Thread: Has anyone built a Cello Podium

Has anyone built a Cello Podium

I have been asked to build one for the local symphony.A search has revealed they range from simple boxes to elaborate affairs withinternal sounding boards coupled to the top. The problem with in Internetsearch is that one finds what has or can be done with little hint as to what isacceptable or common. Specifications from the music director has conflictedsome information from manufacturers of these things. For example, directorthinks a hard top is required while a company that makes a particularly sophisticatedone specifies fir plywood

Talk to the end users. They are professionals and should know what works best. I can't imagine using plywood if part of the use is resonance. Kind of like making a guitar out of plywood.
    Interested in seeing what you come up with.

Chris
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Student grade cellos are often made of plywood, but Chris is right - talk to the cellist.

Blog Entries
    I had to look them up. Never heard of one before. here's a link to some plans on another forum. From what I can tell it's a sounding board that amplifies the sound by picking up vibrations from the metal support peg.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cellofun/cello-podium-t668.html

Do you have access to a Cellist to test different ideas.

It seems to me that having the cellist on the podium with the cello would dampen the effect. maybe you could build a two level podium where the cellist is supported by the upper level which doesn't contact the lower level. Then, the lower level could be made of a more resonant wood.

This looks like a really fun project.

I was thinking of our friends daughter. When she was young she had to stand on pieces of 4x4 so she could reach up to play.
    Bill D.

Contact Frank Strazza - he made one for the San Antonio Symphony and documented the build on Instagram. His has a soundboard, peg, and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Norb Schmidt View Post
    Contact Frank Strazza - he made one for the San Antonio Symphony and documented the build on Instagram. His has a soundboard, peg, and everything.
    Frank Strazza is a cellist and an accomplished furniture maker. He's also a very nice guy and I'm sure he would be happy to help.

There is "plywood" and then there is "plywood".
    I would have to imagine that any type of stand or box for a cello made from plywood is not going to be a plywood that is readily available. I would think that it would start with aircraft grade sitka spruce plywood as a minimum, if not ply wood that is custom made.
    Everything about that "box" is going too effect the tone and play of a cello. I can't imagine a stand for a professional orchestra being just a "simple box".
    If Frank Strazza already has plans available, I'd follow those.

The cello is say favorite instrument. It's amazing!
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-08-2019 at 8:09 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)