Thread: Broken flange that holds on Unisaw top

Broken flange that holds on Unisaw top

I just bought a 1961 Unisaw. I’m taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning/ work over. I took the top off and the front right flange on the cabinet was cracked of and still hanging onto the bolt going into the cast iron top. Maybe it was dropped at some point? The others look fin and the top seemed secure with 3 out of 4 bolts holding it on. Would it make much difference running it like this? Should I try to weld back on that corner? Any other suggestions?

Isn't the cabinet steel? Repair the flange! It helps with table alignment and stability.

Blog Entries
    The bolts that hold the top on also align the miter slots to the blade as well as the top with the plane of the blade rotation. There would have been washers or shims at some or all of the corners to perform this function. It is possible that you could align the machine with one corner bottomed out against the body but, having this adjustment point is what you really want.

I would take a look at some articles that address cabinet mounted trunnion adjustment. You can find tons on table mounted trunnions that have a mention of cabinet mounted trunnions. I will see if I have an article specific to cab mounted. The good news is that cab mounted are much easier to adjust but, you'll want the fourth corner adjustment available.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-06-2019 at 8:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Can you drill from the top and thread the cast iron to make an adjustment bolt? maybe you can drill two small holes and cut threads to attach the broken piece. Brazing cast iron is not a good idea since the top may warp a bit.
    I would use some type of epoxy and screws since it is probably going to be very hard to clamp it while the glue dries.
    Bil lD

The OP said the flange on the cabinet,that should be steel. Weld it.

Weld it.......
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

My misreading. Since it is not cast iron, weld it. Do remove the top so it is not attached to the strap while welding. Look and see if the others need a quick weld as well. If one broke the others may be soon.
    Bill D.

Me, I would weld it back in place. Take a piece of flat steel, and drill a hole to match the hole in the flange. Bevel edges of area to be welded. Bolt steel to broken piece and clamp broken piece into correct position and tack both sides. Weld in place from side without flat steel attached, then remove flat steel, and weld other side. Grind weld smooth, then prime and paint. Unless you are good at overhead welding, this means cabinet will need to be turned upside down.