Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leach Tools

Leach Tools

I was wondering if anyone has bought any tools from him , or asked any simple question about tools he has for sale? I sent him email question about a set of hollow and rounds. He responded to my question, and I told him I had another guy that has a set coming in in a coupe of weeks and I was going to see what they are like. He responded Todd,

I can guaranteeyou that the "other" guy's set will be nowhere near the condition,but if that's what you want, no flies on me.

Patrick

ps Ithink I know who the "other" guy is

I like the set Leach has and they are all from the same maker but his stuff I not cheap and I thought the response back was strange.

Blog Entries
    I like the set Leach has and they are all from the same maker but his stuff I not cheap and I thought the response back was strange.
    In my opinion, that is just who he is. He is pretty good about knowing what he has.

If you are purchasing from another regular seller, he may know who it is.

Is the other set you are considering all made by the same maker?

How much difference is there in the price?

My hollows and rounds are pretty much a mixed set. That doesn't keep them from working well together. If my wife could be convinced to let me spend the money the set Leach has listed would be gone already. Especially if it is the set of skewed hollows and rounds he has listed this month.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD RAYMER View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has bought any tools from him , or asked any simple question about tools he has for sale? I sent him email question about a set of hollow and rounds. He responded to my question, and I told him I had another guy that has a set coming in in a coupe of weeks and I was going to see what they are like. He responded Todd,

I can guaranteeyou that the "other" guy's set will be nowhere near the condition,but if that's what you want, no flies on me.

Patrick

ps Ithink I know who the "other" guy is

That's just Patrick being Patrick. He's a very longtime tool dealer, and he really knows his stuff. He wrote the Stanley Blood&Gore, BTW. He's also my longterm main supplier for ancient artifacts (like, over decades.) A real stand-up guy. I don't mind paying a bit extra for working with him.

I've known Patrick first as a supplier of my habit, for more than a dozen years, and for the past half dozen years as a friend (I've watched his booth for him a few times while he took a break, and this past fall, delivered an anvil for him).

He knows tools and what he sells is generally better grades-if user grade, he will say so. He trusts buyers, shipping on "old tool terms", which is the selling method employed on the " old tools list": this means tools are shipped on the honor system. You get the tools, then you send payment or return the tools. Did I say he trusts buyers to pay for the goods and did I say the condition is typically better than described?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I've purchased a few items from Patrick and was pleased with my purchase's. I've met him in person, he's brutally honest and knows what he's talking about. He can be trusted, but has no time for BS. I respect and admire him for that.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I’ve bought several tools from Patrick. The first purchase from me, he waited for the check then sent the product...totally understandable. Since then, he has sent the tool, trusting my check would arrive. His tools are as good or better than described and I’ve never been disappointed. His prices are retail fair. If you read through his Blood and Gore, you’ll get a good sense of his character.

I've known him longer than anyone. We met in the early 90s, formed a friendship and even made saws together for a few years. We are still friends and get together at tool meets to share the old times and tell new tales over some malted beverage.

A couple of observations. Patrick is very busy. There are literally thousands of folks who have him looking for stuff. If you contact him, and ask about something and he has it, and then you later tell him that you think you will wait to see what the other guy has, that is wasting his time. There are only so many hours in the day.

Second, he is the top tool dealer on the web if you ask me. His selection is second to none and he has a complete list of items he sends out worldwide once a month. It's the first Monday of the month. This past Monday his list went out with 300 items on it. He travels to England once a quarter to look for tools there. He is everywhere. So, when you say some other guy has a set, I'm sure he is insulted by the idea that someone has anything better than him. That may be misplaced hubris, but he has been at it a very long time, and he knows what he is doing.

Third, he knows all the guys selling tools, and has beefs with almost all of them. It's a very competitive business, and he dukes it out daily with the "other" guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he was at an auction where a set came up, and he went at it with someone else and has seen first hand the set that you are talking about. Complete sets of hollows and rounds are not common. Most come from England where they are generally in much nicer shape and of the same maker. I looked for 4 years before I found a Greenfield Tool set that was complete and nice. That was back in the 90s before everyone was looking for them.

Fourth, with Patrick, it's all business. He supports his family selling tools, and he has devoted his life to it. He is a walking encyclopedia of facts and makers. I think you read into his comment too much. That is swamp yankee for: Come back when you are ready for the good stuff.

I met him at a tool show and chatted for a bit. Nice guy. Businessman. Knows his stuff. Very proud of his inventory. Usually for good reason. I don’t think I’ve bought anything from him.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have bought from him, as others said he is all business. Good guy. Frankly, you wasted his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    I've known him longer than anyone. We met in the early 90s, formed a friendship and even made saws together for a few years. We are still friends and get together at tool meets to share the old times and tell new tales over some malted
    I first talked with Pat through the good graces of Paddy O, wayyyyy back in the early days of rec.ww. I am one of the original Galoots, and I’m told a Stanley #5 we customized for him was proudly displayed on his mantle.

As you state, Pete, wysiwyg. He pulls no punches.

His "BLOOD AND GORE" is good info and honest, practical and worth perusing...Good man.
    Jerry

Met him years ago at a tool show. Little socially awkward, but good tools and knows his stuff. Have not bought from him except in person. Would not hesitate to if he had something I was interested in.

Blog Entries
    One of my favorite things about Mr. Leach is his monthly list of tools for sale. If a person wants to learn about antique tools and look at pretty pictures, it is a great resource.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I see none of the expert complainers, that have never dealt with him, in this thread like we've seen a couple of times lately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    That's just Patrick being Patrick. He's a very longtime tool dealer, and he really knows his stuff. He wrote the Stanley Blood&Gore, BTW. He's also my longterm main supplier for ancient artifacts (like, over decades.) A real stand-up guy. I don't mind paying a bit extra for working with him.
    +1- couldn't agree more with Doug's comments.