Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A delivery truck just came . . .

Blog Entries

A delivery truck just came . . .

And delivered my Veritas cornering tool set. It came from Woodcraft.

There is a warning on the box

Note to California residents

"this product can expose you to wood dust which is known to the State of California to cause cancer."

Well, we don't have this issue in Texas.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-05-2019 at 2:14 PM.

Always good to get a delivery. I have the cornering tool. I am not sure I like it much, but it was inexpensive.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...nces/wood-dust

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Texans are as susceptible to cancer as Californians.
    Now, this particular warning may be silly on a hand cutting tool...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Texans are as susceptible to cancer as Californians.
    That's my point. I think you would be hard put even cut yourself with the tool, and certainly no saw dust.
    We have a premier cancer hospital in Houston. So we do have a cancer problem just like every one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post

Some years ago California passed what's known as Prop 65 which required businesses to notify people if a product contained anything that was on a list of potential cancer causing agents (list kept by the state). And businesses had to post a sign at the entrance if anything in their store might be on the list. I'm sure the intent was to get companies to remove those ingredients which might cause cancer - because the companies wouldn't want their products with cancer warnings on them.

But what happened is that there were too many things on the list so just about every product would require a warning. Companies just put the warning on everything to be safe - so they couldn't be accused of not warning people. And once that happened, people stopped paying attention to the warnings because they were everywhere and on everything.

Practically every store has a sign that says something like "This store contains items that the state of California has determined can cause cancer".

Prop 65 should probably be repealed but nobody wants to head up the effort to do that.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-05-2019 at 2:51 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

We're dealing with this at work. You should see the list of chemicals. Aloe Vera is on the list, as is wood dust, leather dust, diesel exhaust, coconut oil, alcoholic beverages, and over 1000 items I can't pronounce.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    There may be some chrome or other alloy in the tool that is on California's list.

Or as Mike says, it is just another chunk of art thrown on the label just in case.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    We're dealing with this at work. You should see the list of chemicals. Aloe Vera is on the list, as is wood dust, leather dust, diesel exhaust, coconut oil, alcoholic beverages, and over 1000 items I can't pronounce.
    Couldn't we just cover it under "If you are a knucklehead, you may get cancer" statement rather than listing all the things that could hurt you? I know we warn the Darwin Award winners that coffee is hot. Shouldn't they plant a little flag in my baked potato to warn me that it may be hot as well?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

"this product can expose you to wood dust which is known to the State of California to cause cancer."

It's a good thing you're in Texas then.

I smoke. The doctor, and everyone else, keeps telling me I need to quit, but I haven't yet. In the mean time, I only buy the cigarettes with the warning that says they may complicate pregnancy. I'm never gonna get pregnant; so I figure I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

In most of Texas, y'all probably have enough wind to blow the wood dust away before it could reach your lungs.

When I lived out there my mailbox had a label on the inside of the door that said it was known to California to cause cancer. Nothing weird about it. Just regular aluminum U.S. post office style mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCarthy View Post

I smoke. The doctor, and everyone else, keeps telling me I need to quit, but I haven't yet. In the mean time, I only buy the cigarettes with the warning that says they may complicate pregnancy. I'm never gonna get pregnant; so I figure I'm good to go.
    Now this made me laugh, may be the most logical thing I read today!

Typing this reply on my iPad in NJ may cause a Californian to get cancer, my apologies in advance.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    It's wood dust. Saw dust would suggest a problem.
    Is saw dust on the list?
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

It has always bothered me that they now put a label on every wood that the dust can cause (list of bad things). It used to be that they only labeled the ones that were harmful to everyone, like purpleheart, cocobolo, etc. The problem is now people use woods like cherry, maple, walnut that don't tend to do anything to most people but still carry a warning label saying they are going to die if they look at the board, so people start thinking that all woods are fine to use because they have the same warning label. Then when people do go and turn a piece of cocobolo on a lathe without dust collection or sand an entertainment center out of purpleheart, they end up in the hospital because those woods really do have toxic dust that affects most people. It's like more warning labels make people less careful not more careful.

Blog Entries
    It seems like we get a lot of westerly winds now that you mention it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-07-2019 at 5:53 PM.