Thread: Finger joint bits

Finger joint bits

Finger joint router bits
    Which one do you like?
    I see some that are different styles
    Does one brand last longer than others?
    Yes I assume a shaper would be the best option but I only have a couple of 3hp routers in tables
    Thanks
    Carpe Lignum

I use the PantoRouter for box joints and have tried several brands of bits. Carbide spiral upcut are the best in my opinion, but interestingly, not all manufacturers make their bits exactly the same diameter. Some realize your router will have a small amount of run-out so they make the bits slightly under-sized. Others make them full dimension and the resultant cut is a bit larger than the bit....sorry, couldn't resist.

thumbnail-3.jpeg

I have made finger joints on the pantorouter, router boss, table saw, and router table. Maybe it was just the jig I was using for the router table, but I was the least successful with this technique. For smaller pieces and narrow fingers, I find the table saw and Incra jig to be the easiest for me. For really big pieces I use the router boss or pantorouter. I agree that upcut spiral bits are a great way to go, on either tool. Recently I made this desk with 12/4 Ash, which is actually a prototype for the "full size" dining room table version. I used the pantorouter for the finger joints connecting the top to the legs. Each finger is 1/2" wide and 2.75" deep. I couldn't find an upcut spiral bit long enough, but I did find a 3" long straight cutting bit online and, cutting slowly, got good results with that.

Scott

Beautiful, Scott. Grain orientation is stunning!

Phil are you talking about bits to make joints in small boxes like this? https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en...nt-router-bits
    Or for joining wood end to end? https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en...nt-router-bits

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Phil are you talking about bits to make joints in small boxes or for joining wood end to end? https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en...nt-router-bits
    End to end
    There seems to be so many different styles and prices
    Carpe Lignum

You asked about a bit for Finger Joints. Do you want a bit for joining boards end to end to make longer boards, or do you want to make box corners? There are different bits for each of these applications. Unfortunately the sales people in the woodworking industry seem to have muddied up the definition of these two types of joints by calling both "finger joints". For joining boards end to end you need tapered "fingers", so in my mind the term finger joint applies. For making box corners you need a completely different bit that has parallel sides and makes "square fingers", which to me are box joint fingers and most, if not all, of the responses so far have provided information for making box joints.

Now, please tell us which type of joint you want to make, board stretcher fingers or box corner joints?

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Now, please tell us which type of joint you want to make, board stretcher fingers or box corner joints?
    Think he answered that yesterday afternoon - he's talking end-to-end.

The Whiteside staggered cutter design was recommended to me so I tried it. No complaints.

1 fingerjoint - 1.jpg

1 fingerjoint - 2.jpg

1 fingerjoint - 3.jpg