Thread: Bar Build Winter Project

Bar Build Winter Project

Hi everyone,

The start of my winter project, building the basement bar. Framing is coming along, although admittedly my framing skills need a little work.

Bar_Frame.jpg

I did a similar project about a year and a half ago. We tore down a wall in the kitchen and had some left over cabinets so I built a base in a corner of the basement and mounted the cabinets to that. In-laws had some left over wide plank white oak flooring so I used that as the top. Came out nice. It's very useful to have a bar area in the basement. Sometimes you just can't be bothered to go upstairs for a beer or a whiskey

That's great! This is similar in that the studs are reclaimed from a kids play house the previous owners built in the back yard and I made the bar top from leftover unfinished oak flooring from my in-laws when they refinished their town home. And I couldn't agree more, just can't be bothered to go upstairs sometimes lol.

Framing is almost done, going to put 1 more support across the middle. I went and picked up a few 2x4s and replaced a few I was initially going to use for a better fit.

Bar 2.jpg

Got the first coat of stain on the bar top. Before and after pics.

1551228073650862.jpg
    1551228073378150.jpg

Last edited by Steve Siwek; 08-26-2019 at 7:21 PM.

So 8 months on still plucking away at the bar and bar area. I decided to use a branch that fell off a maple tree on my property as the foot rest. I've pulled it into the garage out of the elements, stripped it of the bark and gave it a good scrubbing as it had been laying on the ground since last year. I'm going to let it dry out a bit so it gets a little smaller, is there any other recommendations on treating or processing it you would recommend prior to installing it?

Bar Branch.jpg

Once I made a cat tree from wood that looked like that. In the spring flying bugs chewed their way out and entertained the cats. Wife, not so much.