Thread: Outside Cooking Station

Outside Cooking Station

We are planning to add an outside cooking station to the deck we finished last Fall. We want it to nest an XL Big Green Egg and a Weber Grill. Given our location in Iowa, what construction materials would be suggested? Our current plans are to pour a concrete counter top. Looks like I have access to cyprus for framing materials, but doesn't look like the suppliers have less than 2" or so (I suppose I could resaw them for needed thinner thicknesses, like for doors). We used solid cedar for the gazebo. We plan to use some brick/stone veneer for some sides. Any ideas or suggestions?

I made a table for my lg. BG Egg several years ago. It has a granite top and is on wheels. I used 2x4's for the frame and sheathed it with 3/4" T&G cypress. I also made a Sunbrella cover for it. This was a "must" since my patio is uncovered. It has a drawer to store Platesetter, pizza stone, etc. and a couple of doors that enclose an area for charcoal storage and other incidentals. The hardest part was finding stainless drawer slides.
    Good luck with your project.

I am in Wisconsin and this summer I plan on building a grilling station on our poured concrete deck. My plan was to use galvanized metal studs to build a frame and sheath with Durock. I will then face sides with local stone (matches stone on our house) and either purchase a prefab top (concrete or granite) or pour it myself. These materials should last in our harsh winters and temperature swings. I have an existing gas grill that I will design the frame around. I have already run natural gas and electric to the grill (under the slab). It is really nice not having to change propane bottles.

Bob, you may want to think about how much weight you are putting on the wood deck with the concrete countertop and stone sides....you might need some extra reinforcement under that portion of the deck.
    Last edited by Bob Falk; 02-06-2019 at 9:17 AM.

Eastern red cedar
    Availability, rot resistant and classic good looks

Decks eventually need maintenance. Decking needs replacement. Joists may need replacement. What are you going to do with this station when that happens? Can it move out of the way while you work on the deck? Or can you put it on its own footing, so the deck doesn't actually support the station?

When I get around to doing my outdoor kitchen, I am going to do as mentioned above and either metal studs or a welded angle iron frame and durock. I feel that will weather the best. I made a table for my eggs years ago out of cedar and a poured concrete top. I sealed the cedar with an outdoor varathane. It looked new for the 5 years it was covered. I moved and within 2 years of being uncovered, it needed quite a bit of work. My new table will be under my newly added covered deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I am in Wisconsin and this summer I plan on building a grilling station on our poured concrete deck. My plan was to use galvanized metal studs to build a frame and sheath with Durock. I will then face sides with local stone (matches stone on our house) and either purchase a prefab top (concrete or granite) or pour it myself. These materials should last in our harsh winters and temperature swings. I have an existing gas grill that I will design the frame around. I have already run natural gas and electric to the grill (under the slab). It is really nice not having to change propane bottles.

Bob, you may want to think about how much weight you are putting on the wood deck with the concrete countertop and stone sides....you might need some extra reinforcement under that portion of the deck.
    I would be worried about condensation on the metal and humidity.

[QUOTE=Jim Riseborough;2895865]I would be worried about condensation on the metal and humidity.[/QUOTE
    good point Jim....hadn't thought about that

I did a rather sizeable one 2 years ago. 4x4 pressure treated on the bottom in contact with the cement. Did the rest in 2x4 framing with durock attached to the outside. I red-guarded the entire outside and attached stone on the sides and Granite countertops and bar. The shape is a "u" with a weber built in S660 in the flat area of the "u" and a sink and griddle along the side away from the bar. Overall dimensions are 16' x 10'. So far it has held up well. The drawers and doors for under the counter show it is dry.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    I would be worried about condensation on the metal and humidity.
    That's why I was thinking about welding up an angle iron frame. Take a lot longer to rust out. I have heard you can get heavier gauge studs from a sheet rock supplier and they would last longer than a BORG metal stud.

Thanks, Bob, your intentions mirror mine except ours is a wood framed deck. Our floor joists are on 12" centers so I think we'll be OK, but I'll check the load rating chart. My initial thoughts were using metal studs, Durock under the stone veneer, have electrical and natural gas plumbed to the site (except Weber doesn't have a conversion kit on our propane grill but gladly said they'd make a good deal on a new natural gas unit ).

Bob, sorry looks like my reply ended up below another post. Thanks for your post.

I need to make a table for my BGE MiniMax but I've just been lazy about it.

I suggest you check out the Big Green Egg forums as there are a lot of posts on there about building Egg tables and outdoor cooking spaces.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Has anyone ever used a stainless steel console refrigerator for the base, like industrial kitchen type? I'd love to do this to get refrigerator space and serve as a table for a grill. Just not sure how it would hold up, and how to insulate grill from the top. I was thinking stone risers with insulation for that purpose.