Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spindle wrench

I have some of the cheap "Pittsburgh" adjustable wrenches. The largest of the set is always in the tool box on the back of the tractor. It's now got plenty of dings and even a bow in the handle from when it had a chain wrapped around it to pull a stuck car out of a ditch.

I took a 1/4" plate of aluminum (probably 6061T6 but nothing special). It took me perhaps 5 minutes with a sabre saw and a file to complete my custom wrench. Works great. I've been using it for about 3 years. I think that I saw a picture where someone had used some of the 1/8" think steel plate that was part of the packing for their G0766.
    IMG_0001 (1024x768).jpg

That is the way I would go Brice, just a piece of steel plate 1/8 or 3/16 angle grinder and or saw to make one, would work just fine for a dedicated wrench like the OP needs, no need for an expensive large wrench, they do get very expensive for the larger sizes.
    Have fun and take care

With channel locks it's too easy to chew it up with the teeth. One slip and it's bugered up for good. I have a big pair. I pulled them out and had a look at it. Decided not to do it. I got it loose this first time with a strap wrench, but it wasn't easy to get it to grip. Waiting on my sink wrench to arrive before I remove it again.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I'm glad to learn the name of this type of wrench.
    Do you know the sizes on the Harbor Freight set? I don't see them on the web site.

JKJ
    Sorry, currently only have access to the metric set.
    HF svc wrch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Thanks for the very special key words "service wrench". Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Jumbo-Se...10150063&psc=1

It seems there a separate SAE and metric sets. I'm going to try the $13 adjustable drain wrench first. While clearly not a quality tool, might be all I need to break any size lathe nut. The homemade plywood one is also a good idea.
    Your link is exactly what I was referring to. Less than 1/2 the money at Harbor Freight.

Bob

Are you using one of the plastic spindle washers? One came with my Vicmarc chuck. When I unscrew the chuck the adapter always stays with it.

Alex Z., Yes, I use one of those thin plastic washers. For some reason when I unscrew my adapter, it seems to stay put on the end of the spindle.

Some people swear by them to keep the chuck or adapter from getting frozen onto the spindle. Some people swear AT them because they could add a little run out. But I haven't noticed that. Of course, getting sawdust into the "register" area does sometimes cause runout. So I try to keep the mating surfaces clean.

When I seat my chuck or adapter onto the spindle, I never slam them together. I think that helps the freezing or lock up issue.

earlier I posted a mistake I wrote that I used a 15 inch crescent wrench ERROR it is a 18 inch

Bob, yes the HF one's are cheaper, but they have 6 fewer wrenches and don't go big enough for my need. I need 46 mm and the HF set stops at 36 mm. Still, the HF sets are good for those that have a lot of big bolts to contend with where a crescent just won't do.

For smaller sizes a "tappet wrench". is the way to go they are longer and thinner then a standard wrench. made for adjusting valve tappets in a engine so max out around 3/4". Usefull for air and garden hose fittings that are too short on the hex portion.
    Bil lD

I made mine out of oak. Gave it a little extra wood around the opening. Works like a charm.

ron

I use a vintage adjustable "ford" wrench. They have thinner jaws than a "crescent" wrench, and opens really big for it's small size. I'm sure you can find them in garage sales or Craigs list for cheap. I got mine "free" when I bought a tool box of old used tools. Just wanted the tool box. Most tools got tossed out. New ford wrenches are pricey.