Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spindle wrench

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

spindle wrench

I'm occasionally using a 1 1/4 to 1", 8 TPI spindle adapter. Anyone have a line on an inexpensive wrench to remove the adapter? TMI has one for holdfast adapters (A860) and it sells for a reasonable cost, but can't info on size of opening. Anyone know anything about this tool? Appreciate the help.

Take the adaptor to a store and find an open ended wrench to fit. Grind, belt sand, of have it machined by a friend to the thickness needed to fit the adaptor. Scouring garage sales, pawn shops etc are also good sources for a wrench. Or have I misunderstood the kind of tool you need?

New open end wrench to fit is like $50. I'm looking for a cheaper solution <$20 or so. I guess I could cut one from some scrap metal, and may go that route. But, I need one now; so cannot wait on an opportunity buy like a yard sale or CL.

Has anyone tried using a sink drain wrench?

I use an Armorline RP77321 plumbers slip nut wrench. Got it on Amazon for $13.

thanks Dwight. And that works well for you?

Yes it does.

I use an adjustable wrench (cresent wrench style ). inexpensive wrench from HF. Works every time, don't over engineer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mullins View Post
    I use an adjustable wrench (cresent wrench style ). inexpensive wrench from HF. Works every time, don't over engineer it.
    Hardly over engineering it. I would need an 18" crescent wrench. $27 for a HF one delivered to my door. I suspect it would also be too wide to fit the flat spot, because my 15" one is. The sink drain wrench, delivered to my door for $13, works perfectly. Problem solved with no engineering needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I'm occasionally using a 1 1/4 to 1", 8 TPI spindle adapter. Anyone have a line on an inexpensive wrench to remove the adapter? TMI has one for holdfast adapters (A860) and it sells for a reasonable cost, but can't info on size of opening. Anyone know anything about this tool? Appreciate the help.
    What is the actual size needed? I use wrenches I bought from Tecknatool long ago to fit the Nova chuck adapters. They sell a "universal" one now which I don't like as much as the old one but it would do what you need IF it's the right size.

If you want, measure your adapter with calipers and I can check my wrenches. Would be pretty easy and almost free to make one if you have basic metalworking skill and tools.

JKJ

I made one out of 3/4 plywood. Haven't broke it yet.

Do a search for a "service wrench". They come in large sizes and are thin with a short handle. Just right for removing a stuck chuck. I bought a 1 1/2" one from one of the tool trucks that stop at mechanic shops. Was under $20 if I remember.

Harbor Freight sells an entire set for under $50 with a 20% coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Do a search for a "service wrench". They come in large sizes and are thin with a short handle. Just right for removing a stuck chuck. I bought a 1 1/2" one from one of the tool trucks that stop at mechanic shops. Was under $20 if I remember.

Harbor Freight sells an entire set for under $50 with a 20% coupon.
    I'm glad to learn the name of this type of wrench.
    Do you know the sizes on the Harbor Freight set? I don't see them on the web site.

JKJ

Thanks for the very special key words "service wrench". Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Jumbo-Se...10150063&psc=1

It seems there a separate SAE and metric sets. I'm going to try the $13 adjustable drain wrench first. While clearly not a quality tool, might be all I need to break any size lathe nut. The homemade plywood one is also a good idea.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-05-2019 at 7:58 PM.

I use a 15 inch crescent wrench things have never been on so tight I could not get things apart, a lot of leverage with it so one must be careful.

15 inch crescent wrench is the way I go. It's also good for a bunch of other things around the shop. Get one and have a universal problem solver.