Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spindle wrench

spindle wrench

I'm occasionally using a 1 1/4 to 1", 8 TPI spindle adapter. Anyone have a line on an inexpensive wrench to remove the adapter? TMI has one for holdfast adapters (A860) and it sells for a reasonable cost, but can't info on size of opening. Anyone know anything about this tool? Appreciate the help.

Take the adaptor to a store and find an open ended wrench to fit. Grind, belt sand, of have it machined by a friend to the thickness needed to fit the adaptor. Scouring garage sales, pawn shops etc are also good sources for a wrench. Or have I misunderstood the kind of tool you need?

New open end wrench to fit is like $50. I'm looking for a cheaper solution <$20 or so. I guess I could cut one from some scrap metal, and may go that route. But, I need one now; so cannot wait on an opportunity buy like a yard sale or CL.

Has anyone tried using a sink drain wrench?

I use an Armorline RP77321 plumbers slip nut wrench. Got it on Amazon for $13.

thanks Dwight. And that works well for you?

Yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I'm occasionally using a 1 1/4 to 1", 8 TPI spindle adapter. Anyone have a line on an inexpensive wrench to remove the adapter? TMI has one for holdfast adapters (A860) and it sells for a reasonable cost, but can't info on size of opening. Anyone know anything about this tool? Appreciate the help.
    What is the actual size needed? I use wrenches I bought from Tecknatool long ago to fit the Nova chuck adapters. They sell a "universal" one now which I don't like as much as the old one but it would do what you need IF it's the right size.

If you want, measure your adapter with calipers and I can check my wrenches. Would be pretty easy and almost free to make one if you have basic metalworking skill and tools.

JKJ

I made one out of 3/4 plywood. Haven't broke it yet.

Do a search for a "service wrench". They come in large sizes and are thin with a short handle. Just right for removing a stuck chuck. I bought a 1 1/2" one from one of the tool trucks that stop at mechanic shops. Was under $20 if I remember.

Harbor Freight sells an entire set for under $50 with a 20% coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Do a search for a "service wrench". They come in large sizes and are thin with a short handle. Just right for removing a stuck chuck. I bought a 1 1/2" one from one of the tool trucks that stop at mechanic shops. Was under $20 if I remember.

Harbor Freight sells an entire set for under $50 with a 20% coupon.
    I'm glad to learn the name of this type of wrench.
    Do you know the sizes on the Harbor Freight set? I don't see them on the web site.

JKJ

Thanks for the very special key words "service wrench". Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Jumbo-Se...10150063&psc=1

It seems there a separate SAE and metric sets. I'm going to try the $13 adjustable drain wrench first. While clearly not a quality tool, might be all I need to break any size lathe nut. The homemade plywood one is also a good idea.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-05-2019 at 7:58 PM.

I use a 15 inch crescent wrench things have never been on so tight I could not get things apart, a lot of leverage with it so one must be careful.

15 inch crescent wrench is the way I go. It's also good for a bunch of other things around the shop. Get one and have a universal problem solver.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I use a 15 inch crescent wrench things have never been on so tight I could not get things apart, a lot of leverage with it so one must be careful.
    You got that right - so handy! I don't think I'd want to use a big crescent wrench regularly at the lathe, though.

Around the farm there are large things to maintain. I keep crescent wrenches from tiny to one made with a 24" aluminum handle so it won't weigh so much. I have one pipe wrench even larger, and can't get by without sets of large box and open-ended wrenches and huge socket sets with 1" drive. You wouldn't believe the prices on some of these even at the "cheap" places!

And these are for my little 40 horse tractor and bobcat. Just for fun sometime, take a walk through a mechanics area in a BIG equipment dealer and look at their tools.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Bach View Post
    15 inch crescent wrench is the way I go. It's also good for a bunch of other things around the shop. Get one and have a universal problem solver.
    I have one and it's not big enough, short by 1 mm. You have to go to an 18", which I do not have.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.