Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engineering standards

Just to update the response to the north Queensland flood disaster, the event has been upgraded to a Category D catastrophe which means the federal government will provide grants up to $75000 for clean up and recovery for individual households, businesses and farms, and $100m as a start for infrastructure rebuilding. Many of the farmers in the region have gone from years of drought only to lose their remaining livestock in these floods. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Many of the farmers in the region have gone from years of drought only to lose their remaining livestock in these floods.
    My heart goes out to those farmers! In 1975 the little dairy farming community where I was raised suffered a devastating loss from a washed out flood gate during a 100 yr flood event. Dozens of dairies were under water within minutes. Dairy cow losses numbered in the thousands. The Army Corps of Engineers was called in to assist with cleanup and I can still remember, like it was yesterday, seeing the military trucks driving through town piled high with bloated, rotting dairy cows. My family's farm was spared but we all cried for those who weren't so lucky.

I watched a video overflight of Townsville yesterday...wow. Just wow. While my friend's place is high enough that the water hasn't encroached her home, the same cannot be said for so many folks. Devastation. I'm glad to hear there will be financial help for folks to recover.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...