Thread: Looking for ideas on eccentric post

Looking for ideas on eccentric post

I would like some ideas on where to get, or how to build an adjustable eccentric stop for a sanding jig.

It should have a post no larger than 3/16 or so (close to edge of jig), and I would like it to adjust from about 1/8" to 3/8". Height is no problem, 1/4" to 1/2" would be about right. It won't have to take much abuse or pressure.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a 3/16" shaft with an off center solid disc on top?? Maybe a washer ground to several flat areas??

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick could you post a picture of your jig ? I am trying to "see" what this stop is supposed to accomplish and where it is positioned, to do what ?

You‘re sanding circles?

Short piece of axle stock. Drill axial hole through the length but offset about 1/4" inch. Drill cross hole for a pin to use as handle.

I guess I should have explained better. I have a Rockler sanding jig, I just picked up on sale. I should have just built one, but the nice aluminum scale with cursor called to me. I got it set up accurately, but I would like to add a simple way to bevel some items like the bottom of table or chair legs.

Just talking about a small bevel, but various sizes of boards to bevel is my problem. All I was thinking of was a simple post to stop the advance of the workpiece, so you could rotate it to do all four sides. A simple drill bit stuck in a hole at the end of the workpiece would do it.

The problem is twofold: First, with the arm at 45* there is only a small space left on the jig table to to work with, about a half inch, and it is lightweight MDF (not strong). Second: It would be nice to have the ability to do more than one size bevel, like 1/8"/ 1/4", and 3/8". There is no room to drill three holes for stops, so I thought of some sort of eccentric.

Bill had a good idea, but there is not enough room for it.

Peter's sites showed some great possibilities, but again too big. Gave me some more ideas though.

Maybe Drill a hole with a 1/8" peg in it, plus other 1/8" pegs with different thicknesses of rubber tubing over them to achieve different bevels??

Another possibility is to use a wooden stop cut at 45* that can move in the t-track along the side of the jig, but that has it's own problems.

Wish I was better with pics so I don't have to use a thousand words. Thanks for your patience, if you got this far.

PS: Johnny..no circles, it comes with that option.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-05-2019 at 7:16 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.