Thread: Cut SealCoat and Arm-R-Seal

Cut SealCoat and Arm-R-Seal

I am finishing a 3'x7' Pedastal table. I have put 3 coats of Daley's Sharkfin oil on and let them dry for 24 hrs between coats. On the bottom of the table I have laid by brush two coats of SealCoat. On the pedestal and top I would, if possible, like to cut it with De-natured Alcohol. Can this be done successfully. What cut? Would it be best to cut with Mineral Spirits? Much obliged for any guidance.

Blog Entries
    Shellac is alcohol based so no on the mineral spirits. I use a lot of Seal Coat and decant it into glass containers. The alcohol base contains some water and container failures, while rare, can occur. When you buy in gallons one unnoticed leaking container is enough to make you never want to clean that up again

I have some full strength, some cut 1:1, DNA : Seal Coat which is what I use most often and some cut 2:1, DNA : Seal Coat that I use as a sanding sealer. They make better alcohols but, I have never had a problem using the BORG's Klean Strip DNA over the nearly 15 years I have been using it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Arm-R-Seal is a wiping varnish; it doesn't need thinning. I have thinned it when applying it by brush for the first couple of coats on really large table tops, and that might be appropriate for you table top. The only reason to thin it is to give you more working time before it starts to get tacky. Recognize that if you thin it it will take more coats to build the film to the same level. But even when I've brushed on the first few coats I've always wiped it on full strength for the last one or two.

For the pedestal I don't see any reason or benefit to thin it. That's the perfect application for Arm-R-Seal, wiped on straight from the can.

John

Thank you, gentlemen. Your advice made the day go much more smoothly!