Thread: mesquite 'tile' desk and claro desk

mesquite 'tile' desk and claro desk

finished up a mesquite 'tile' desk, just a few minor fittings on the drawer guides left. I have some handles coming in this week that I will mount, but I am still up in the air on what style of handle will work best.

Most everything I do is commissioned, but this is one of the few projects I have done that is for stock. I may use it as my desk, but will probably list it on my page for sale and stick it in the corner of my office until someone buys it.

I did do a few new things on this desk. I switched the drawer sides from poplar to soft maple. I like the cleaner look of the maple, it is a bit harder, and takes a finish better. This is also the first I have done with the side runners and half blind dovetails. This lets me do wood runners for the drawers and utilize the full height of the drawer space. Normal runners make you use about 1/2-3/4" of an inch between each drawer - space i didn't want to give up for this piece.

I also did a second desk very similar but changed the materials.

Same style as the mesquite, but the panels and top are from 4 sequence cut boards of claro walnut with some awesome figure and character.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

WOW...outstanding! I love the tiles and the floating top. Stupendous design and great execution!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Always enjoy your work, Alex.

I love your bold design choices. Really well thought out. I also like the 'faux iron' and the vertical orientation of the panels and drawers.

What did you finish with?

the finish on the mesquite desk is target em6000. The Claro desk finish is waterlox. I like the deeper color I tend to get on walnut with a wipe on varnish, I feel it makes it look a little richer.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

A very nice "busy" build!!!!
    I love it.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

WOW. That is an awesome design and beautiful wood. I especially like the Claro one.
    Charlie Jones

I like a lot and I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the top of my table saw like that

That makes a visual statement!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Perfection, nuff said!

Lot going on there, including scary faces! I love wood with scary faces! But my favorite is the "slices" with retro-fitted
    facets. Great design that makes the cracks art. Reminds me of the Chinese lattice work with the cracking ice designs.

Truly inspired work! I wish I had the creativity it takes to make something like that.

Works of art. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Excellent work. I especially like the “tortoise shell” mesquite sides!

Blog Entries
    I am impressed, you really have a good eye for design.

Excellent craftsmanship. Impressive design and execution. The mesquite tile reminded me of a piece on the back cover of the last issue of FWW, but I like your execution with the end grain better. Would love to see a build thread. The claro walnut is beautiful, and I really like the book matching that you did on the back (or is it front?). Is it shop sawn veneer from a slab?