Thread: advice on rail sizes for large table

advice on rail sizes for large table

Hi All - I'm working to finalize a walnut table design based on this picture. I found a great source on etsy for the legs which will be 5" square. The table top will be about 106" long and 44" wide and at i'm aiming for 2.25" thick.

I'm getting a bit stuck on the rails or apron that connect to the legs and provides support for the table top. They will be 3.5" high (wide) and about 74" long. What thickness should i shoot for here - 1", 1.5", 2"? Even at that length the table is going to be pretty solid - so this is some extra support as well as for design purposes.

Welcome thoughts and suggestions...

prod2710574_E24959556_F.jpg

The best way is to print out the picture and measure the thickness of the top and rails and use that to calculate the ratio. Just by eye, based on a top thickness of 2 1/4", your rails will want to be 3 - 3 1/2" high which is what you already worked out. You could have them any thickness you want. 1" would be minimum but realistically 1 1/2 - 2" thick would be better. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Blog Entries
    You can also use the sagulator to determine the load bearing capability of different height rails.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If the top is 2-1/4 thick and only 74” between the legs I don’t think you need to worry about the top sagging so you could use whatever thickness you have for the apron .
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks all!

According to sagulator my top will sag minimally over that distance. So I’m thinking the apron is more for keeping the top flat and general aesthetics.

I guess it raises a different question - do I need a few cross pieces under the top to help keep it flat over the years or is that overkill?

Cross rails underneath are far more useful than than breadboard ends. Three are enough. Cheers