Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Triumph Laser - getting an error in EzCad2

I think most folks who order direct from China realize that support may be non-existent Industrial users usually pay a Lot more for machines so they can just call someone and have it repaired. Who knows when you get done with this you might want to be a repair station?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I think most folks who order direct from China realize that support may be non-existent Industrial users usually pay a Lot more for machines so they can just call someone and have it repaired. Who knows when you get done with this you might want to be a repair station?
    Haha, that's a possibility. There is a lot of profit in service businesses, especially when there's no competition (that anyone can find). I will say that I'm learning a lot, actually enough to build a fiber system with parts available online. Although, if I start one more business, my wife may change the locks on the house

Did you fix it yet? Is there any chance you changed how it’s powered, moved to another socket or ??? It should be powered off the 220 side of the 110/220 trans. Could that have changed?
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    Did you fix it yet? Is there any chance you changed how it’s powered, moved to another socket or ??? It should be powered off the 220 side of the 110/220 trans. Could that have changed?
    Neville,

Not fixed yet. Waiting to have the laser source tested.

It's a 110V system, I'm not sure what you mean by powered off the 220 side of the 110/220 trans. The laser source is powered by the 24VDC power supply, which is working as it should and the source is getting the 24V. Nothing changed with the setup at all. It was powered down over the weekend. We came in Monday morning to resume and it wouldn't work.

Paul

In my experience, they tend to work and in an instant, they don't work and it's done. It's the source. I don't know who the source is, but Raycus has a 2 year warranty on them from the factory. It'll run you about $800 in shipping to get it there and back.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

other possibility could be the controller card, if f'rinstance the laser isn't pulsing due to the card sending wrong instructions to the source, I could see where that might throw an overheat code... ?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    In my experience, they tend to work and in an instant, they don't work and it's done. It's the source. I don't know who the source is, but Raycus has a 2 year warranty on them from the factory. It'll run you about $800 in shipping to get it there and back.
    The source is JPT and I'm almost positive it's bad. There's a chance that the fiber cable could have been pinched and broke fibers but it's not very likely. Like you said, it was working and then it wasn't. The whole system is about 90 days old and the MFG date on the source is 8/2018. Should be under warranty but they are on holiday with less communication than usual. It's a Triumph machine with JPT source. The warranty is 1 Year. The marketing always says 100,000 hours of life but there's no way that can even be quantified (at lease with their set up).

IMG_20190204_213854.jpg
    Last edited by Paul Husing; 02-07-2019 at 1:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    other possibility could be the controller card, if f'rinstance the laser isn't pulsing due to the card sending wrong instructions to the source, I could see where that might throw an overheat code... ?
    I considered that but wouldn't that affect the trace functionality?

If you got it from China, there is a step up 220 inside and that powers it. There is also a straight 110 off that but If you didnt change anything than my suggestion won’t help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Husing View Post
    Neville,

Not fixed yet. Waiting to have the laser source tested.

It's a 110V system, I'm not sure what you mean by powered off the 220 side of the 110/220 trans. The laser source is powered by the 24VDC power supply, which is working as it should and the source is getting the 24V. Nothing changed with the setup at all. It was powered down over the weekend. We came in Monday morning to resume and it wouldn't work.

Paul
    355 - 10400 : )

I considered that but wouldn't that affect the trace functionality?
    hell, who knows? My thought is, the card issuing instructions to red light and move mirrors is pretty simple, and different than firing the laser... IF EzCad detects a laser issue it might halt the mirrors...

--a lot of maybe's and might's, I know ... My Fiber2 machine did a weird thing last week, I'd been away from the machine awhile, and when I got back I put in a new part, and when I hit the foot pedal I noticed a faint 'flash' on my laptop (which sits on a stand on the crank tower), and no engraving-- or so I thought, turns out the laser was actually firing but not moving! What happened was, I'd hit the button at the exact moment the computer went to sleep (the flash) and I'm guessing just a few bytes of data made it to the machine, just enough to fire the laser and do nothing else! With the computer asleep I had to key-off the machine to stop the laser from firing. I would think there would be some sort of fail-safe stop command, but I guess the programmers never thought of that particular scenario..?

All that said, I'm with the group that the source is the likely problem...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    hell, who knows? My thought is, the card issuing instructions to red light and move mirrors is pretty simple, and different than firing the laser... IF EzCad detects a laser issue it might halt the mirrors...

--a lot of maybe's and might's, I know ... My Fiber2 machine did a weird thing last week, I'd been away from the machine awhile, and when I got back I put in a new part, and when I hit the foot pedal I noticed a faint 'flash' on my laptop (which sits on a stand on the crank tower), and no engraving-- or so I thought, turns out the laser was actually firing but not moving! What happened was, I'd hit the button at the exact moment the computer went to sleep (the flash) and I'm guessing just a few bytes of data made it to the machine, just enough to fire the laser and do nothing else! With the computer asleep I had to key-off the machine to stop the laser from firing. I would think there would be some sort of fail-safe stop command, but I guess the programmers never thought of that particular scenario..?

All that said, I'm with the group that the source is the likely problem...
    Ahhh, fun with lasers

All I can say is that this is a hell of a learning experience. Never thought that it would only go a few months before it went down completely. I was in the process of ordering a CO2 laser when I found out that the fiber went down. My intentions were to get a CO2 in place and then add another fiber 2-3 months from now. This is certainly a game changer!
    Husing Group of Companies
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

Try Checking your pin connections jpt pins.JPG
    And note this info from the manual..."Remarks: After provide 24V voltage, you need to wait 12s to operate① Fiber laser control system self-locking: If fiber laser received unusual testing signal(Just like: long time not connect control card, high temperature, high frequency signal, low24V power supply) the fiber laser will stop to receive the instruction. Please again powersupply the fiber laser if you need to recover the machine."
    Also check all of your F3 settings to see if anything looks wonky. It's been my experience that the slightest weak wire or pin connection can cause that error.
    Good luck,
    Floyd at Sun-Fyr

Blog Entries
    I get an over temp alarm if I try and engrave and I missed turning on one of the two front buttons. Have you checked wiring from switches to the laser? Might be as simple as a loose wire inside the box. You can do all red light stuff, just can't laser.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Update:

Finally had a trouble shooting session with Triumph support after a week of waiting. After going through a series of tests and remote connecting to the machine via TeamViewer they determined that the laser source is bad. They say I will have a replacement in 3 days and the bad one needs to be sent back. In the mean time, the old one needs to be removed from the machine, packaged well but economical (their request) and ready for pick up.

I have to say that this whole experience has been very frustrating and we had to outsource business for over a week now and lost several jobs because of turnaround time. When I purchased this machine I knew I would be sacrificing service to save money but I never thought that it would fail so soon.

Has anyone had issues with machines purchased / sourced in the states? How quickly were any issues resolved?

I'm considering purchasing a back up machine and really at an impasse on where to purchase.

And again, I really appreciate all of your feedback so far. I have learned a lot in the past week and my troubleshooting skills have been put to the test.
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Siegal View Post
    Try Checking your pin connections jpt pins.JPG
    And note this info from the manual..."Remarks: After provide 24V voltage, you need to wait 12s to operate① Fiber laser control system self-locking: If fiber laser received unusual testing signal(Just like: long time not connect control card, high temperature, high frequency signal, low24V power supply) the fiber laser will stop to receive the instruction. Please again powersupply the fiber laser if you need to recover the machine."
    Also check all of your F3 settings to see if anything looks wonky. It's been my experience that the slightest weak wire or pin connection can cause that error.
    Good luck,
    Floyd at Sun-Fyr
    Floyd,

Very good information - I'll keep that in my trouble shooting file. We did replace the serial cable as a trouble shooting measure with the same result. Changed the 24VDC power supply as well. When the manufacturer finally did a trouble shooting session they had me connect the USB cable direct to the laser source (bypassing the serial cable) and the laser still did not fire with any power. That still doesn't rule out the fiber cable being bad, but we have no way to check the fibers inside of the cable. There were no visible kinks or abnormalities but when fibers are broken, in my experience, the only way you can verify is by connecting to a testing source.

Thank you for the great information though.
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber