Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Triumph Laser - getting an error in EzCad2

Blog Entries
    Do what some others here have done, buy cheap Ebay Fiber. Use as backup or second machine. US builders are 2 to 3 times or more expensive. And have a lot of the same parts.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Do what some others here have done, buy cheap Ebay Fiber.
    I bought 2 of em, and best I can tell, I got the last 'cheap' one-- best-priced US-sourced 30w fiber I can find on ebay right now is $5500, I paid less the $4k for both of mine. I'm hoping the group of sellers who I got mine from is in the process of bringing more in-- and by 'US sourced' I mean they're basic shelf-built Chinese machines, but they're sitting in warehouses in THIS country, no tariff or duty crap, just good ol' free 3-day shipping.

They work well, and good thing, I have jobs on all 3 at the moment, and could put jobs on 3 more
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes - we are looking at one of the US based sellers, Chinese product, that still have pre-tarrif inventory. The plan was to purchase a CO2 but now we are reconsidering because of the Triumph failure. There are still some $3k-4k machines around. My current plan is to see if the replacement source works and then make a decision on moving forward.
    Husing Group of Companies
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Oh gawd, not another laser salesman.

Paul- Trust me on this, your laser failure is an anomaly, NOT the norm. In fact, in the 6 years so I've been a party to this forum, yours is the first fiber laser AT ALL that I can think of to lose the actual laser source. Now, I had a scanhead go bonkers on me -or not, I'm still thinking it was a loose plug wire on the board, but Triumph insisted on replacing it under warranty-- and off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else who's had a scanhead fail. Like with your failed source, I consider it an unlucky fluke, and these same flukes can happen with ANY laser, including a "real" TRUMPH.

And accession numbers, Triumph yes, the other 2, don't need 'em as they were imported then re-sold by a US based company, accession numbers are THEIR problem, not mine...
    Kev - I do believe that the failure was an anomaly, but its still a major setback and it's costing money every day that it doesn't operate. Over a week now. All of the sources that I've found in the US (Chinese made) are almost as much as the whole laser. The replacement that they are shipping has not moved at all - DHL tracking says Shipping Information Received. I called DHL and they cannot give me any information, just what the website tracking says.

There is a Q-switched Raycus on CloudRay 30W for $2400. My source was a MOPA which is quite a bit more expensive. I've read about the differences between MOPA and Q-switched and right now its time and money. The shipping on CloudRay says DHL for $183 - that leads me to believe it's shipping from overseas as well - any thoughts?
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

Paul-- sorry...

Cloudray stuff does come from China, I've bought a lot of it! Didn't realize you had a MOPA, not that THAT makes any difference to your situation, you still can't work without a machine!

Being fairly new here, you likely don't know much about me, so the short version: been engraving for over 50 years, doing it full time since early 1976. At this point in time I have 10 New Hermes/Gravograph rotary machines, a New Hermes vinyl cutter, 3 C02 'metal' lasers, 1 C02 'glass' laser, and 3 fiber lasers. And it's all stuffed into our 1300 sq ft home's basement and garage. Nope, there's no room left

probably THEE main reason for so many machines, is redundancy. That, and they just won't wear out. Many of my machines are 'fairly' proprietary, to certain customers or types of jobs. Makes for short setup times. But the main thing is, it's highly unlikely that a machine going down will stop the work flow. Having backups is wonderful...

--and of the 18 machines I have, only 8 were purchased new, all the others were used machines.

So-- if you have the work, do consider getting backup machines if at all possible... if one falters, you have a backup... if more work comes in, you're ready
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

You will find DHL tracking to be not updated. I have had China shipments at my door and the tracking said otherwise.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    You will find DHL tracking to be not updated. I have had China shipments at my door and the tracking said otherwise.
    Bill, I spoke with DHL today and the package was not released on 2/12 when it was scheduled for pick up.

I just made an ebay purchase that I will be picking up in Kentucky tomorrow. New 20W machine $4k. The "brand" appears to be Ving. The seller sells under several ID's at varying prices, ship costs...but did offer local pickup so that's the option I exercised. Hopefully it's good enough to get us caught up until a new source arrives.

Thanks to everyone for your support & advice and I'll keep ya posted on the new machine.
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Husing View Post
    Bill, I spoke with DHL today and the package was not released on 2/12 when it was scheduled for pick up.

I just made an ebay purchase that I will be picking up in Kentucky tomorrow. New 20W machine $4k. The "brand" appears to be Ving. The seller sells under several ID's at varying prices, ship costs...but did offer local pickup so that's the option I exercised. Hopefully it's good enough to get us caught up until a new source arrives.

Thanks to everyone for your support & advice and I'll keep ya posted on the new machine.
    So, how's it workin' out?
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

So, after some setup, troubleshooting, adjustments and refinements, the new ebay machine is producing. The Q-switched source is a lot different than the MOPA, way different results with identical settings. The Q-switched (maxphonics source) seems to have more power, so we need to back it off and do less loops. We end up with more of a deep engrave instead of a nice anneal. Also got another MOPA source installed on the original machine and it's back up and running. It was in fact a bad source - nothing else was changed, just the source.

At this point I am looking for a CO2, 80W max. I'd like to get the largest work area possible but I'm not finding any "in the USA" now, just direct ship from China so customs and import headaches would apply. Considering another from ebay with a 700x500 bed @ 80w in the $2500 ball park.

If any new info has been found on CO2, I would love to read it. I'll continue reading the threads here and make a purchase very soon.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    So, how's it workin' out?
    So, after some setup, troubleshooting, adjustments and refinements, the new ebay machine is producing. The Q-switched source is a lot different than the MOPA, way different results with identical settings. The Q-switched (maxphonics source) seems to have more power, so we need to back it off and do less loops. We end up with more of a deep engrave instead of a nice anneal. Also got another MOPA source installed on the original machine and it's back up and running. It was in fact a bad source - nothing else was changed, just the source.

At this point I am looking for a CO2, 80W max. I'd like to get the largest work area possible but I'm not finding any "in the USA" now, just direct ship from China so customs and import headaches would apply. Considering another from ebay with a 700x500 bed @ 80w in the $2500 ball park.

If any new info has been found on CO2, I would love to read it. I'll continue reading the threads here and make a purchase very soon.

Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

There's a bunch of 500x700 x80/100watt machines sitting in Anaheim California for $2250, sold by about 6 sellers with different names (5 of the 6 have 'freeshipping' in their seller name)-- pics of the machines look okay, I'm thinking they're probably okay machines-- My view of such machines, like the fiber's I've bought, are less of a gamble for ME, because I'm makaniklee inklinde enough to figure out what makes them work, how to troubleshoot, and how to repair the things. Even the electronics, which I'm not all that bright about, don't bother me with Chinese machines because the whole units are cheap, even if warranty service ends up non-existant... my biggest worry with one of these machines would be simply that I KNOW it'll need a complete optics alignment and likely a good check of the squareness of the gantry setup. Aside from that, all these machines use the same off-the-shelf stuff as the next one...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I have bought from Goldraydigital and they shipped my laser super fast. I would buy from them again as they did support the chiller that had a bad fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have bought from Goldraydigital and they shipped my laser super fast. I would buy from them again as they did support the chiller that had a bad fan.
    Yes, I did look at some of the machines that Goldraydigital has on ebay. There's another by preenex that I'm going to try. With a bunch of add ons (chiller, supplemental exhaust fan, rotary by Mansfieldcustoms and a bunch of voltage/current/PSI monitors) I'll be under $3k and have it in 1 week. There are supposed to be some additional access doors that open to work with larger pieces. I bought a spare tube as well.

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Dexter Russell Cutlery
    Fishbone Knives
    757 Sharpening
    Laser Pros Engraving
    Triumph 30W Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Husing View Post

Can you elaborate on the process to install the new source, aside from the obvious disconnect DB's etc.? I am in the same boat with our Raycus... Thanks in advance.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01