Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triumph Laser - getting an error in EzCad2

Triumph Laser - getting an error in EzCad2

Hi all,

We've been reading Sawmill Creek for months and have learned a wealth of information, and for that, we thank you all.

Something that just happened today, Monday of all days, is an error in the EzCad program that will not allow us to operate. Getting this error - Fiber Laser: over temperature. No alarms, no signs of overheat. Ambient temp is 60F in the shop. All fans working. The machine is has been in operation since October 25th. It's a 30W, High Speed Galvo (sino-galvo). We cannot figure out what may be causing this error. We've messaged support but don't expect any reply for hours, or days.

Does anyone here have any experience or direction to point us in?

IMG_20190204_132344.jpg

Thanks!

Paul

A few more things we tried:

1. Mark with Laser off - still get over temperature error

2. Set system restore point to last week - still get over temperature error

We would like to un-install EzCad but there's not an un installer. We backed up all of the job files - anyone know the best way to un-install EzCad?

EZ-CAD isn't actually installed, it's just copied to a folder and you run by clicking on the executable file. To "uninstall" it you simply delete the program from your drive. Careful though, make sure you write down every bit of configuration you can find so when you download and "install" a new version you can configure it properly.

Before you do that try and google "Fiber Laser: over temperature" and you may find your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Husing View Post
    A few more things we tried:

1. Mark with Laser off - still get over temperature error

2. Set system restore point to last week - still get over temperature error

We would like to un-install EzCad but there's not an un installer. We backed up all of the job files - anyone know the best way to un-install EzCad?

It's a Chinese holiday right now. Might not hear anything for another week or so.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have a Triumph fiber, what Gary says is on the money, it's not an installed program, it just runs from a folder. I doubt the program is the problem, but if you think it is, just do this:

Create a new folder, call it Triumph Test or whatever...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/desgiwmaap...tware.zip?dl=0
    ^^ this is link to the Triumph EzCad software, go there and download it...
    Once downloaded, copy or move it to your new folder...

you shouldn't need to install drivers or anything, just unzip it, then navigate to the "EzCad2.5" folder, then find the EzCad.exe file, and run it...

It should start and work normally, EXCEPT you'll none of your presets, adjustments, saved parameters, etc. just a fresh out of the box EZcad...

You MAY have to run the dog driver, but I don't think so, should just work--

If you still get the error, you'll know it's not software based...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    EZ-CAD isn't actually installed, it's just copied to a folder and you run by clicking on the executable file. To "uninstall" it you simply delete the program from your drive. Careful though, make sure you write down every bit of configuration you can find so when you download and "install" a new version you can configure it properly.

Before you do that try and google "Fiber Laser: over temperature" and you may find your answer.
    Gary - Thanks for the info, we'll give that a try. We've scoured Google & everything else we could think of to no avail. The jobs are piling up so we're ready to try pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    It's a Chinese holiday right now. Might not hear anything for another week or so.
    Damn, that's not what we wanted to hear. If we can't get anywhere on our own, we may be SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I have a Triumph fiber, what Gary says is on the money, it's not an installed program, it just runs from a folder. I doubt the program is the problem, but if you think it is, just do this:

Create a new folder, call it Triumph Test or whatever...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/desgiwmaap...tware.zip?dl=0
    ^^ this is link to the Triumph EzCad software, go there and download it...
    Once downloaded, copy or move it to your new folder...

you shouldn't need to install drivers or anything, just unzip it, then navigate to the "EzCad2.5" folder, then find the EzCad.exe file, and run it...

It should start and work normally, EXCEPT you'll none of your presets, adjustments, saved parameters, etc. just a fresh out of the box EZcad...

You MAY have to run the dog driver, but I don't think so, should just work--

If you still get the error, you'll know it's not software based...
    Kev, Thanks for the detailed info. I did determine that it's not software. All signs point to the source. I'll swap the 24VDC power supply tomorrow, but I don't think that's going to do it. Has good output at 24.1 but there's no demand on it - like the source isn't pulling power. After I reset the laser and Mark, it will make a slight crackle like I'm lasing but just shit the bed after a second. Planning on taking the power supply out tomorrow to load test it. If that passes the test, the source is the only other thing, that I know of?

Any idea(s) on testing the source? The fan is running and the cables are connected - just no delivery

While rooting around the innernet I found a reference to 'overtemp protection' to do with the power supply...

While rooting around inside my Triumph not long ago, I was aghast at the crapload of the metal particles floating around that didn't make it into my exhaust hose DID make it into the cabinet, everything inside was covered with the stuff-- makes sense since the cooling fans just suck in whatever with no filters-- Now, considering that most of the particulates are METAL, and metal conducts electricity, it stands to reason that this crap can create current pathways or good old short circuits...

that all said, you might trying doing what I did: take an air hose and blow all the crap out of and off of everything in the cabinet!

And while you're in there, unplug and re-plug all connectors. A can of CRS electronics spray cleaner is your friend here, spray everything with the stuff- it's available at any car parts store and usually Walmart, red/white cans- There's a basic 'regular' type, and one call 'electro-motion' I think it is, it's completely non-conductive, it's meant to spray onto/into electrically live electronics-- I spray it into my engraving machine motors to blow out the carbon dust, WHILE THEY'RE RUNNING!

Anyway, with any luck your problem is just something a little cleaning up and wire checking might fix...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

While rooting around the innernet I found a reference to 'overtemp protection' to do with the power supply...

While rooting around inside my Triumph not long ago, I was aghast at the crapload of the metal particles floating around that didn't make it into my exhaust hose DID make it into the cabinet, everything inside was covered with the stuff-- makes sense since the cooling fans just suck in whatever with no filters-- Now, considering that most of the particulates are METAL, and metal conducts electricity, it stands to reason that this crap can create current pathways or good old short circuits...

that all said, you might trying doing what I did: take an air hose and blow all the crap out of and off of everything in the cabinet!

And while you're in there, unplug and re-plug all connectors. A can of CRS electronics spray cleaner is your friend here, spray everything with the stuff- it's available at any car parts store and usually Walmart, red/white cans- There's a basic 'regular' type, and one call 'electro-motion' I think it is, it's completely non-conductive, it's meant to spray onto/into electrically live electronics-- I spray it into my engraving machine motors to blow out the carbon dust, WHILE THEY'RE RUNNING!

Anyway, with any luck your problem is just something a little cleaning up and wire checking might fix...
    Kev - just completed blowing everything out and checking all connections. Still the same result - no lasing and after 2-3 tries the error code. The power supply seems to be producing but I have another one being delivered tomorrow.

Really frustrating - we have jobs piling up.

Thanks for the support & I'll keep updating, hopefully with a fix soon.

a stabbing in the dark question-- are the mirrors moving before the error code comes up ? Will it do a red-light preview before you attempt to fire? My thought is, if the mirrors aren't moving for whatever reason, the controller may know they're not moving (feedback?) and that might be a reason to throw the code?

Another thought: awhile back I found a fried fly or some other bug on TOP of the lens in my Triumph fiber- This was probably taken care of during your recent cleaning, unless you have a separate table/tower setup? If so, I wonder if some bug or something may be blocking the fiber beam? Not sure if the laser would even 'know' that but if something is causing laser light to reflect backwards thru the fiber optics--?
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

a stabbing in the dark question-- are the mirrors moving before the error code comes up ? Will it do a red-light preview before you attempt to fire? My thought is, if the mirrors aren't moving for whatever reason, the controller may know they're not moving (feedback?) and that might be a reason to throw the code?

Another thought: awhile back I found a fried fly or some other bug on TOP of the lens in my Triumph fiber- This was probably taken care of during your recent cleaning, unless you have a separate table/tower setup? If so, I wonder if some bug or something may be blocking the fiber beam? Not sure if the laser would even 'know' that but if something is causing laser light to reflect backwards thru the fiber optics--?
    Kev,

Thanks for the suggestion. The mirrors are moving, text trace works great - visible on the work piece. Just for good measure we just pulled the lens again and blew everything out again but still have the same results.

Power supply will be here very soon - really hoping that solves the problem.

Considering ordering a new source from a site a guy turned me onto yesterday - Cloudraylaser.com. My current source is JPT manufacturing Model YDFLP-30-LP1+-S on AliE for $2400. If I have to, I'm considering swapping out for a Raycus 20W or 30W Q-Switched. About $500 difference between the 20 and 30.

Can't go wrong with Cloudray, I've bought probably a dozen C02 lenses, half dozen mirrors and two fiber lenses from them, no issues...

Another question, how old is your Triumph? (Past the warranty?) And, who do you deal with? From day one my entire 'communication network' is thru email with Yolanda. Even during the holidays, even though there's not much the company can do, she's always gotten back to me within a day or two...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Can't go wrong with Cloudray, I've bought probably a dozen C02 lenses, half dozen mirrors and two fiber lenses from them, no issues...

Another question, how old is your Triumph? (Past the warranty?) And, who do you deal with? From day one my entire 'communication network' is thru email with Yolanda. Even during the holidays, even though there's not much the company can do, she's always gotten back to me within a day or two...
    Good to hear about CloudRay.

At Triumph, dealing with David on the support side. We spent about an hour communicating on Monday via WhatsApp to no avail. Just did a bunch of troubleshooting that didn't solve anything. He's not able to get to a PC to remote test the source for awhile because of the holiday. The laser is only a few months old. Ordered late September, arrived mid October.

Update:

Just changed the power supply and we're still having the same problem. Tested the old one out of the unit and it's producing correct voltage and amperage, so that wasn't the issue. At this point, it appears to be the fiber source.

I've Googled laser / fiber repair companies for someone to come out and test the source with no good results. Has anyone ever located a service company that does such a thing? I would think with all of the fiber technology that we have today, someone would have a business in major markets. I'm in Virginia Beach, Va with very large military bases and a decent population - it's a little perplexing.

IMG_20190206_144011.jpg