Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a cast iron router table the right choice?

If you do decide to look at shapers the comment about the shaper being 25% of the cost is accurate. I would recommend a 3h.p. shaper with 3/4"And 1" spindles plus a router collet. this was my first shaper. Used it with just the router collet for 5-6 years. I ended up with a power feed in a package deal and that started me down the road of buying shaper cutters.It is an investment that can be done slowly over time. Still use my machine with a router bit every once in a while.The 3/4" spindle is probably the most used,because of cheap used cutters being readily available .My one inch spindle is handy now with collars to run some of my 1 1/4" tooling on. Be careful it is a slippery slope. Mike.

I'm perfectly happy with the Veritas steel top and fence from Lee Valley. The top "floats" in a larger router table so lots of support for the work piece. A lift would be nice but I use an older Triton 3hp which allows above table bit changes and has a separate knob which allows fine tuning the height.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    If you do decide to look at shapers the comment about the shaper being 25% of the cost is accurate. I would recommend a 3h.p. shaper with 3/4"And 1" spindles plus a router collet. this was my first shaper. Used it with just the router collet for 5-6 years. I ended up with a power feed in a package deal and that started me down the road of buying shaper cutters.It is an investment that can be done slowly over time. Still use my machine with a router bit every once in a while.The 3/4" spindle is probably the most used,because of cheap used cutters being readily available .My one inch spindle is handy now with collars to run some of my 1 1/4" tooling on. Be careful it is a slippery slope. Mike.
    Thanks Mike. I still on the fence with this but see the benefits of a shaper for my needs. Do your have a recommendation as far a brand/model? Powermatic, Laguna?

Jeff mine is a Steel City . I also just bought a larger shaper about a month ago. Honestly I would look used,most of the 3h.p. machines will only have been used by a hobby guy anyway. I see them all the time in the 500-1000 range. These machines are really designed for a 3/4" spindle despite having bigger ones available. General International makes a nice one,after that I really only have experience with Steel City. It is a good one with a larger spindle carriage than some of the others (Bearings will be bigger).Unfortunately it is no longer made. There are tons of shaper threads on here to search though. What kind of work do you want to do with a shaper ? That will help determine what to look for .

I bought the General International add-on to my table saw and added an Incra lift (Woodpecker). Then I built a little cabinet the sits under the router to hold router accessories. Photo below. Love this setup because it saves me space. I do wish the table were a bit wider to better support large wood, but it's rarely an issue. G.I. also sells a full size cast iron table that you can build a table around that is much bigger than the tablesaw add-on. I liked my G.I. better than the Ptree one because of the leg kit And the included fence is really nice. I don't understand the objection to a miter slot in the table. It doesn't interfere when not used, and is great for coping applications. Certainly not a cheap solutions, but I'm glad I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Finazzo View Post
    Thanks Mike. I still on the fence with this but see the benefits of a shaper for my needs. Do your have a recommendation as far a brand/model? Powermatic, Laguna?
    Are we looking at used, or new?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

7. Jeff,
    For what it’s worth, I went with the Ultimate Excel II setup you’re talking about and have been very happy with it. I asked around a lot and considered building my own or waiting until I got my Sawstop and adding a cast iron extension wing with the router lift. Ultimately, I decided that I wanted to have the whole system that was designed/built to work together. Another deciding factor for me was the time it was going to take me to figure out all the parts and pieces that worked well together and then build the cabinet for it. At first, I was convinced that I had to have cast iron, but I moved away from that only because I have a non heated shop and was concerned about maintaining that top. Probably should not have been concerned about that, but it got me to start looking at other top materials and I decided the phenolic would be good for me.
    To each his own, and I have seen some really beautiful setups that guys here have put together but, for me, that Excel II setup fit the bill and I haven’t been disappointed.

good luck,
    Dean

An FYI to a post on the last page that stated that there are not many lifts available for the Bench Dog table because it has a smaller opening. Jeesum and Incra (which is a Jessum with magnetic inserts) now make their lifts in two sizes, one for the smaller openings.

The secret to making an MDF top, is in mating the convex surfaces of two 3/4" layers. Like this; )(
    It ain't gonna warp.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

That may well be true, Myk. As I posted earlier, my problem wasn't warping or sagging, it appears to be that the MDF swells and shrinks. It's ever so slight, but it's enough to put the insert plate out of flush.

I see you're in Missouri. Makes sense it would swell.
    I painted all surfaces with poly thinned with min spirits. Then a 1/4" Masonite layer on top.
    You could also route out the shelf, and replace it with a new shelf made of a stable wood.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Are we looking at used, or new?
    Im think new. I never have luck with used.

Of all the wood tools I have, the phenolic router table (Jessem) is the easiest to maintain. I cringe when I see scratches or surface contaminates on my $3k Sawstop cast iron, and realize the amount of work it takes to clean it.