Thread: New Revo 18/36 Arrived

New Revo 18/36 Arrived

My new lathe arrived on Friday. There were some delays since trucking companies weren't moving anything around here Wed/Thur last week because of the cold. A friend helped me carry the pieces into the basement. Assembly was really straight-forward and went well.

Here is a picture of my old lathe, sitting on top of my new lathe. Also a picture of my first and second bowls. The second bowl, the larger one, went to my friend for helping me carry everything to my basement.

So far I'm really impressed with the Revo 18/36. It's really a different world from the HF lathe or the old Delta I used before, especially with the addition of some nicer tooling. I still have a long list of items on my wish list, but at least I'm throwing some shavings around.
    20190202_170523_resized.jpg20190201_185713_resized.jpg20190203_133037_resized.jpg

Looks very good, lathe and bowls. Your present position could be a fire hazard with the base board heater.
    C&C WELCOME

I thought of that, too, but I'm somewhat limited in my options. My plan is to make a guard to put over it to hopefully keep most of it away. My heat is set pretty low in the basement, so this zone doesn't come on that often. It's hot water heat, and the water is only heated to about 190 degrees. The little research I've done says wood doesn't ignite until heated until 350 degrees.

Congrats, Wes! I think you will love the Revo - I certainly enjoy mine. As to the baseboard heater, I do think you should consider a screen covering at the least - more for efficiency of the heater than anything. And, blow out the dust periodically. I have baseboard heat in my shop, as well, but one of the 4' units is to the left of the lathe on the side wall - more to my left as I stand in front of the lathe. That area doesn't accumulate shavings and I am somewhat neurotic about keeping a clean shop. I think some aluminum (not fiberglass) window screen fixed so it covers the top vent would be enough so long as you do not let shavings pile up around the unit for any more than just your turning session. I have had my shop for 14 years and I do not think the heating coil/unit on a baseboard heater gets anywhere near the ignition point of wood or similar cellulose material.

Wes, you posted as I was typing!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Congrats Wes. I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy. I did as you and started out on a midi and soon found myself wanting for something bigger. After much research I settled on the 18-36. I have really enjoyed the upgrade and have not doubted my purchase one bit. I originally was looking for one of those yellow/green machines, but thought long and hard about spending almost twice as much. Some will argue that they are superior machines, and they may be, but I'm happy with mine.
    Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
    There have been a few issues with the banjo, but with a little finesse on the nut and rod under it's bottom, I have resolved most of my issues. I still wish that the tool rest post was placed a little further in from where it is. It tends to put the locking handle too close to the ways and that makes it hard to lock it down tightly.
    Have fun with your machine and always remember to play it safe when turning.
    Steve
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Congrats on your new lathe. It's a great looking machine and I hope it gives you many years of trouble free enjoyment.
    Great looking bowls as well!!!

Congratulations on your new lathe, Wes! It's the same lathe that I teach on at the Maloof Foundation. I want to share that I have noticed one thing about it, which I am probably going to come up with a little mod for: When I move or pivot to the very far left, my left elbow/forearm occasionally bumps the knob for the variable speed. I'll attach a photo of myself that I grabbed off the Instagram page which happens to show that I'm getting close.

I've increased the speed more than 500 rpm's just with an accidental nudge. I am going to add some kind of simple guard that keeps me from doing that too easily. It is an inconvenience when I am turning something with the axis, but I don't like the potential for danger when I have something like a larger bowl on there.

I think this is dependent upon how you stand at your lathe vs. how I do, and other factors, but I wanted to offer the heads-up / suggestion.

Enjoy!
    Jeremy Sullivan
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 3.40.00 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Jeremy Sullivan; 02-04-2019 at 7:24 PM.

Congrats on your new lathe. I've had mine for about 18 months and still enjoy it. I have also bumped the speed dial like Jeremy when i first got the lathe, however Iv was decreasing the speed. I should make a guard or put a smaller knob on the lathe as the potential is there. Another thing to note is the set screw in my tailstock handle came loose twice. After the second time I used blue thread lock and has not been a problem since. The tool rest that comes with the lathe is similar in style to the Robust comfort rest. I was going to buy a Robust 6" comfort rest, but advice from "John Keeton was to buy the low profile because it gives you better access. That advice was right on. I ended up buying a 12" and 6" low profile from Robust. I also bought the 14" J rest. I only use the J rest occasionally, however I use the 6" rest a lot. Enjoy.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I absolutely agree with William regarding the low profile rest. I have never once used the rest that comes with this lathe. Good comment! -Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sullivan View Post
    [...] When I move or pivot to the very far left, my left elbow/forearm occasionally bumps the knob for the variable speed. [...]
    I think this is dependent upon how you stand at your lathe vs. how I do, and other factors, but I wanted to offer the heads-up / suggestion.

Ditto! Great lathe, but I also found myself changing speed when getting up-close and personal with the headstock... I simply swapped the knob with a nice smaller one on my Razortip burner... solved! Also, I did not care for the little rubber ball knob on the tailstock and replaced it with a shiny rotating handle as is common with metal-working lathes... Never had a fitment issue with my Best Wood Tools 1 inch post...

And while I have the floor -- IMHO, everyone should spring for the Revo bed extension with tailstock riser -- it just makes the machine look very macho and heavy (not to mention the bigger bowl and platter capacity)... And if you are over 6 feet tall, don't forget the leg extensions...

Outfit the Revo right and enjoy!! Just sayin'

Ely