Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laundry room counter top. Z

Laundry room counter top. Z

Hello, my question is my wife wants a Formica counter top put in the laundry room. The space measures 7’x24”. There will be two clothes hampers under the counter top. Now structurally what would be the best way to support the top. I don’t want to over build it and don’t want it sagging later on. Thanks

Build some cabinets underneath with 3/4" plywood, then you can support the entire width and have zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Allen View Post
    Build some cabinets underneath with 3/4" plywood, then you can support the entire width and have zero issues.
    Cabinets would surely do the job. Will the countertop abut a wall at each end? If so, 1x3s screwed into studs at each end and along the back should provide enough support. If you want to go heavy duty, you could go with angle iron. If no walls at the ends, you could use the 1x3 or angle iron under the back and install braces that run from under the front edge of the countertop down to the baseboard. Not nearly as pretty as cabinets, though.

Cabinets, even if the front is open, are likely going to be the best looking way to provide proper support for that kind of counter span. You could even incorporate a pull-out system to provide access to the hampers while totally hiding them from view normally for a clean look to the laundry room and to cut down on dust from the clothing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes there is a wall on each end. So just some metal brackets that would extend out about 12”. Along the wall and under the counter. Nothing across the front just back and sides should be enough.

Our “laundry room” is a 6’ closet with bi-fold doors. I went the Lowes and bought a 8’ section of formica counter top with back splash to mount above the washer/dryer. I simply cut it to length and screwed lengths of 2x2’s to the two side walls and back wall and then screwed the counter to the 2x2’s. It’s been in use for several years with no sagging, even without a center support. I wouldn’t stand on it but it is plenty strong.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A piece of angle iron supported at both ends a few inches in from the front edge painted black.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Callender View Post
    ...So just some metal brackets that would extend out about 12”. Along the wall and under the counter. Nothing across the front just back and sides should be enough.
    No.

Build a cabinet under the top.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

All you would need is a center divider just a panel

I have a similar top spanning my washer and dryer with space for a hamper in the middle. I simply installed a large shelf standard mid-span. My substrate is plywood and not particle board. It's still flat after 10 years or so.

Thanks for the ideas the one where you put a row of 2x2. I will probably go with that. The hampers are on rollers. And there are two of them and they take up the whole space. Cabinets would work too but I have plenty in the room already. Thanks for your time.

If you are worried about sagging and just want a wide open space under the top just incorporate a rail under the front edge of the top to reinforce the span. Gravy.

A rail like a 1x6 ,2x4 something like that. Maybe a 2x4 with a 1x6 to pretty it up.

Got access to a lathe? Turn a pretty post for support.

Double up the veneer core plywood substrate in a glue and screw sandwich and cleats both sides and rear. I've done told like that and they've held up well.