Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

4 Feb 2019

Greetings,
    To start with, I mowed 2/3 of my lawn and raked up leaves. It was only 71 degrees F here and today it's supposed to be 73.
    The daughter and son-in-law have finally started their house this weekend.
    I finished the computer desk top project and here are the pics:

computer_desktop_1.jpg

computer_desktop_2.jpg

computer_desktop_3.jpg

The top is Red Oak that is 1" thick and the legs are a Black Walnut & Ash sandwich. The design of the legs to so that there's no desk "leg" to get in the way when sitting at the desk.
    We had a celebration party for my youngest son who leaves for U.S. Army basic training this week. I'm so proud of him and all that he's done to get this far.
    Got some cleaning done in the shop and my hope is to get some other things done this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That desk top turned out very nicely, Dennis! And yea, I'm looking forward to some more moderate weather. From sub-zero last week to hitting the 60s a couple days this week. [insert eye roll here} At least that darn groundhog things spring is right around the corner!

Interesting week last week. I completed some inlay subcontract work on a dozen game boards for another maker...he just picked them up to go and do the final work on them...and finally finished/installed my new kitchen table. (thread in Woodworking Projects) I also did a site visit to get specifications for some architectural design features for a beautiful all-walnut study/library room in a huge, new construction but looks 200 years old home and...successfully won the business after the client visited here on Saturday to discuss my artistic ideals for the major elements they need produced. Having recently upgraded my Vectric software to Aspire, I'm totally enjoying the modeling capabilities as I develop the final renderings and design for this client and I look forward to cutting things after they give approval. This one job is more than paying for the software upgrade as well as providing a "step right into the fire" learning experience. I'll be working on this project all week and hopefully also doing a little shop cleanup that's absolutely needed. While dust collection is generally excellent while the CNC is cutting, the need to "blow off" any stray stuff creates quite a bit of debris anyway. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I finally completed my spice cabinet and installed it.

Now I can finally find things when I'm cooking............Rod.

Spice Cabinet 1.jpgSpice Cabinet 2.jpg

I've just got back from 4 days in Sydney, for the wedding of a nephew. My wife and I used to live there before moving to Perth 30 years ago. It was wonderful catching up with family and friends, some from around the world.

I was also rather curious how the wedding gift (a coffee table) I made had survived the shipping from Perth (about the same distance as New York to LA), and whether my nephew and his bride liked the final result. It did and they did. Phew.

I posted the build on the hand tool forum. Not sure if I posted anything here ...

Great weekend. Back to work tomorrow.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-04-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Finally finished my entertainment center

IMG_0392.jpg

Derek, that is stunning! I hope you'll document it in the Woodworking Projects forum area, too, since that's the place for finished projects and builds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What I did last week was hunker down and stay warm. We went from record low on Wednesday night (-28* F air temp) to a high in the 40s in about 48 hours. So no, I did not get out to the shop at all during the week. I did get out Saturday morning and clean up the driveway from the drifting during the week. I could drive over the 1' drift, so I didn't worry about it until it got over 10*F. Didn't care what the neighbors thought...

Saturday afternoon I went out and did some work on Tantilus II and III. All set to start putting the hinges on II, and starting to fit the latch on III.

I also pulled the knives out of my jointer and clean them up so I can sharpen them sometime this week.