Thread: Dust Collection for Drill Press

Dust Collection for Drill Press

I recently picked up a Steel City 17" Drill Press. I made a new fence and table for it and added a Rockler Drill Press Dust Port. The port worked very well and there was not nearly as much of a mess after drill about 16 holes with a forestner bit. The chips were sucked up before they had time to fly all over the shop. the drill press has always been one of teh worst offenders in my shop for making a mess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Donham View Post
    snip.... the drill press has always been one of teh worst offenders in my shop for making a mess.
    I take it you don't have a lathe or a router and don't do much sanding!

I wish my DP was the worst offender!

Glad you’re happy with the Rockler accessory.

I wish a manufacturer would design a spring loaded shroud similar to the OF2200. Seems like the most effective means of extracting chips. A port attached to a fence isn’t always at the source. At times, It could be 7-10” away from the source.

I should clarify about the mess. All my tools are on wheels except the DP. I try to roll them outside under a covered patio to work. The mess is contained to the outside concrete floor and is easier to clean up. The DP leaves chips all over and maybe just seems to be worse than my lathe or a router. Lets face it they all make a mess just some are worse than others. My lathe (Nova 16-44) is made portable by means of a Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table. I put the lift table under the ways with a little wooden carriage I made and lift it up about 3 inches and wheel it outside. Because it is isolated and nothing else is around cleanup is easy when I get through. I vacuum the lathe with my shop vac and use the floor brush for the chips on the floor, move the lathe back in the shop and then use my blower to get the dust I missed and blow it out into the driveway. Same for the bandsaw, router tables and sanding tables. This method would not work for everyone because of their shop layout but for me it works and keeps the dust down in the shop. I keep my dust collection hooked even with them out side when possible buy the table saw makes a mess as well and that is too big to move around.

The bottom line is everything is relative, some tools you expect a big mess others you do not. They all make a mess in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I wish a manufacturer would design a spring loaded shroud similar to the OF2200. Seems like the most effective means of extracting chips. A port attached to a fence isn’t always at the source. At times, It could be 7-10” away from the source.

Well.....it’s not from a drill press manuf. or spring loaded; but it’s effective just like the the OF shroud.

https://www.infinitytools.com/drilln...on-system-4430

Blog Entries
    Nice job. I use the same fixture on my DP. I run a stay-put hose to it and when the operation demands, swing the hose out front.

DP-DC (1).jpg . DP-DC (2).jpg

For general work the hose stays hooked to the fence port. I make pretty liberal use of the DP so the stay-put hose has become a real benefit; swing it out, put it back. Easy-peasy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler