Thread: Tire change on bandsaw.....

Tire change on bandsaw.....

Oh my gosh, this was a nasty job. The old rubber tires were so gooey and just pure nasty. I started scraping the gunk off but after awhile I just gave up. Then i went and bought a new wire wheel for my grinder.... oh yeah... it was nasty as black rubber crap was flying everywhere but still faster and less painful than scraping. If I ever buy a new band saw I think ill just change out the tires from the beginning unless it comes with the urethane tires. Needless today I bought Carter urethane tires this time and cant wait to get it up and going. So many parts to clean makes the wheels the easiest part however. If anybody is up for new tires and has never done it before I have to suggest using a wire wheel on a grinder.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I'm sorry to hear it was such an ordeal. I've only put tires on two bandsaws, a Montgomery Ward 10" from the days of yore that I sold and a Jet 18" that I still use, and in both cases the old tires just cracked and fell off, so there was no tire removal to do.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    Oh my gosh, this was a nasty job. The old rubber tires were so gooey and just pure nasty. I started scraping the gunk off but after awhile I just gave up. Then i went and bought a new wire wheel for my grinder.... oh yeah... it was nasty as black rubber crap was flying everywhere but still faster and less painful than scraping. If I ever buy a new band saw I think ill just change out the tires from the beginning unless it comes with the urethane tires. Needless today I bought Carter urethane tires this time and cant wait to get it up and going. So many parts to clean makes the wheels the easiest part however. If anybody is up for new tires and has never done it before I have to suggest using a wire wheel on a grinder.
    What kind of bandsaw? I've changed them on two bandsaws, a 14" Delta and an 18" Rikon and neither was a problem. There was a little residual adhesive on the Rikon but it came off with a hand-held wire brush. The fun part was stretching new urethane tires to fit on the 18".

JKJ

I just cut and peel them off and clean old adhesive off with a carbide scraper

This was a dayton. I am wondering if moisture might have something to do with the problem. But it was just sticky, very sticky black gook with a white layer showing on sides. The carter tires were easy to install after I read the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    This was a dayton. I am wondering if moisture might have something to do with the problem. But it was just sticky, very sticky black gook with a white layer showing on sides. The carter tires were easy to install after I read the instructions.
    I've never hear of moisture from the air doing that. Usually rubber or some polymer compound goes to goo because of oil or some solvent but I can't imagine that on a wood-cutting bandsaw. Is this a wood/metal saw used to cut a lot of metal with lubrication? Also materials deteriorate age or if the compound is not properly formulated. Maybe some compound in some green wood species combined with some cheap tire material that wasn't the best choice?

JKJ

This ordeal has be wondering. It is a wood bandsaw, no chemicals or water is on or around. I am thinking cheap tire material but I just dont know. But it is almost like gooey tar. If it could only happen one in a million times it will happen to me. lol
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I've changed so many that I made a tire changer to do just that...