Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need joinery help, please!

I need joinery help, please!

I am building a turntable stand for my son that is loosely based on the one in the image below. I'm having problems figuring out how to do the angled divider piece. I'm thinking of angled tenons or an angled tongue as shown in the rough sketch. The piece is 15 inches wide, so I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

i20190203_124838.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott, what tools do you have? I could do this on my table saw in a couple different ways.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,
    Good point! I failed to mention that I have a table saw, router table and drill press along with a jointed, planer and SCMS.

Scott

Blog Entries
    Instead of tenons as it is in the sketch, make an angled dado cut on your table saw. This would leave the ends of the connecting board square.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I thought of that option, too, but wasn't sure how it would look. Would it look like I just took any easy shortcut? I'm hoping this is an opportunity to learn something new and maybe buy something new, too.
    Last edited by Scott Brader; 02-03-2019 at 4:38 PM.

It looks to me like a great excuse to buy a domino. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brader View Post
    I am building a turntable stand for my son that is loosely based on the one in the image below. I'm having problems figuring out how to do the angled divider piece. I'm thinking of angled tenons or an angled tongue as shown in the rough sketch. The piece is 15 inches wide, so I'm not sure of the best way to do it.
    If you made the angled piece vertical, you'd have more room to store your records.

The stock is only 5/8" thick. Would a domino even be an option on such thin pieces?

Unfortunately, the angled piece is a design element my son and his wife want. I could handle it much easier if it was straight.

Unfortunately, the angled piece is a design element my son and his wife want. I could handle it much easier if it was straight.
    It's in keeping with the vaguely Euro design of the piece that you would use biscuits.

I'm pretty ignorant about biscuits. Would they be an option on such thin stock?

I'm pretty ignorant about biscuits. Would they be an option on such thin stock?
    There are three sizes, associated with three different slot depths, and you'd choose the appropriate one. You could buy a biscuit joiner for as little as 60 bucks new, and many people on this board would probably give you theirs for free. There's a lot of prejudice in this world. :^)

It's important to note that you would split the angle, which allows you to use the same fence setting for both upper edges, and you'd probably use the #0 biscuits. You could create a very nice waterfall pattern using the same board for both top and sides, and the lack of exposed joinery would contribute to that.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-04-2019 at 2:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    I would use a box joint at the top. The bottom could be straight tenons into angled mortises. Tenons are much stronger when going along the grain path.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

thanks. I'll take a look at biscuits.

I haven't considered angled mortices. I figured the angle on the tenon wasn't enough to be a factor. I'll take a look.