Thread: Delta 22-560 Cutter head stopped moving, motor still runs

Delta 22-560 Cutter head stopped moving, motor still runs

I was planeing a small piece and the cutter head stopped moving, the motor is still running but no movement of the cutter head. Anyone else have this issue or have any advice to fix it?

Thanks,
    Stuart
    24 x 36 Home Built CNC Router
    26 x 14 Chinese laser 60 Watt
    Aspire, Mach 3, Corel X8, RDWorks 8
    https://www.stuartgraphics.com/

Did it used to have a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Cook View Post
    I was planeing a small piece and the cutter head stopped moving, the motor is still running but no movement of the cutter head. Anyone else have this issue or have any advice to fix it?

Thanks,
    Stuart
    Ditto w/ Nick's evaluation.

I used to have one. Imagined it would do well on light duty planing; saving the 5hp Belsaw for hogging. I was wrong.

Twice I had to re-build the drive end of the cutter head, when keys sheared or bolts backed out. Generally, it melted the belt while in it's death throws. I carefully analysed the failures and tried everything my BSME brain could come up with to prevent a repeat (Locktite, etc...). Third time was the charm and it went in the dumpster.

You could probably sell it? Try not to giggle when the buyer signs the check. Then run.

I have the 22-580. Mine has a cutter lock feature when blade changing. Theres a spring lever in the back that locks the cutter head when you remove the cutter head cover. I'd play with this lever if the 560 has one to see if you can free the cutterhead. Seems to me I've had this happen but my memory is fuzzy on this.

This happened to me on my 22-560 about 10 years ago. The drive pulley on the cutter head sheared off. I contacted Delta and they sent me a slightly redesigned blade cylinder head. Have not had a problem since. This may not help you now but you might be able to find a used head.