Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning filters

Cleaning filters

In the process of moving my cyclone into the new shop I cleaned the filters. I did this by plugging a roll-around dust collector into the cleanout box at the bottom and then back-flushed the filter medium with air.

After setting it up I tested it out to make sure everything was good to go......when I shut it down I heard a loud pop......I figured the trash can collection barrel had compressed in a little. Then I ran it for awhile running machines and at some point heard a pop again, and then shutting it down heard two loud pops.

Apparently cleaning the filters had made it flow so well that it's almost compressing the trash can!

Should note: this is a 5hp, 15" impeller ClearVue.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm thinking about getting a Dylos meter to make sure the filters are still filtering! I was gentle with the cleaning but these filters are not new.

Those pops probabaly made you jump a bit!

I clean my filters outside with my backpack blower. Idling it seems to be enough to do the job. Fun too!

Definitely made me jump! I thought the impeller was coming loose.

On a side note just for you Matt: I'm heading to Kennedys peak today to bike.

'https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PM2-5-Detector-Module-Air-Quality-Dust-Sensor-TFT-LCD-Display-Monitor-LOT-F7/123609724334?hash=item1cc7b6b5ae:m:m3kT2YC4KuCNCX2 lD-nP1UQ:rk:23f:0

An alternative to the Dylos.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-22-2019 at 6:46 PM. Reason: removed direct link to auction site

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    'https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PM2-5-Detector-Module-Air-Quality-Dust-Sensor-TFT-LCD-Display-Monitor-LOT-F7/123609724334?hash=item1cc7b6b5ae:m:m3kT2YC4KuCNCX2 lD-nP1UQ:rk:23f:0

An alternative to the Dylos.
    There are about twenty or so variations of that unit on amazon, all going for about US$50 or thereabouts. They all look to be made in the same factory in China. Do you have one, and have you had it for long?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-22-2019 at 6:46 PM.

I don't have one but the Aussies have been playing with them for close to a year. At first making them with the sensor and soldering the parts and later these self contained ones. You can't put them directly into a dust stream, like in the spray of dust off a saw blade. A Dylos would die from that too. Sitting at head height it will give you reasonable readings of what you are breathing. They were tested against laboratory counters and are within 10% or so and will read smoke particles in the air. I want to get one and compare it to the Dylos I have but there are other things the shop needs more at the moment. One placed on a shelf near the filters would indicate if they are leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I don't have one but the Aussies have been playing with them for close to a year. At first making them with the sensor and soldering the parts and later these self contained ones. You can't put them directly into a dust stream, like in the spray of dust off a saw blade. A Dylos would die from that too. Sitting at head height it will give you reasonable readings of what you are breathing. They were tested against laboratory counters and are within 10% or so and will read smoke particles in the air. I want to get one and compare it to the Dylos I have but there are other things the shop needs more at the moment. One placed on a shelf near the filters would indicate if they are leaking.
    It would be interesting to place one side by side with the Dylos (which I have, and find indispensable for tuning my dust collection devices.) They're cheap enough that you could just distribute them around the shop and know where to point things. One meter good, more than one gooder.

Agreed. It is also a good idea to take readings outside for a while to get background readings and then in the shop after it sits for a couple days to get the background readings in there. That way you can see if the work is increasing the dust levels by much over the background readings. No point in making changes and adjustments chasing high readings if they are because of bad outside air.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    On a side note just for you Matt: I'm heading to Kennedys peak today to bike.
    Jealous. Indiana has a lot more corn fields than mountains. Okay, lots of corn fields and no mountains.

I collapsed the galvanized steel 30 gal trash can when first setting up the 5hp ClearVue here (with new filters). I substituted an older can with slightly thicker but much stronger walls. I've used a Dylos since before I built the new shop with the cyclone and the air is much cleaner even when drum sanding than when I used a big shop vac on just the bandsaw in my previous tiny shop.

JKJ

Thanks for the link! I didn't realize there was a $50 alternative to the Dylos.

I might have to order one of those. It would be really nice to be able to truely test the effectiveness of different dust pick ups.

[QUOTE=Doug Dawson;2894790]It would be interesting to place one side by side with the Dylos (which I have, and find indispensable for tuning my dust collection devices.)

I agree. And with experience in both to compare features would be the most useful. For example, the Dylos has a monitoring mode that samples at regular intervals then lets you review the history - that's the mode I usually use. The particles are measured in two ranges, 2.5 microns and 0.5 to check those deemed to be the most dangerous to the lungs. What does the cheap one do and it is accurate and reliable?

The $50 one in the link appears to be a sensor module on a microprocessor board.
    I didn't yet find good details on the product but this may be the sensor module: https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.p...or_SKU:SEN0177 Looks like it has a fan to pull air through and measures with laser scattering just like the Dylos. If the modules are cheap enough now and work well this may be good news for wood dust makers everywhere.

Maybe I'll order one to test and compare if I can find some spare change in the couch.

JKJ

John the Dust collection area of the Aussie forum has info on the accuracy etc of them and building them too. BobL did make one with the same sensors that could take multiple sensors in different locations and record the data for downloading and analysis. I can't post the links or PM you at this time so if you are interested I'm sure you can find them.

Here is some more links to testing and making them that should keep you busy if you're interested.

https://www3.epa.gov/airnow/teachers...structions.pdf

https://ourairquality.org/index.php/...ality-monitor/

https://aqicn.org/sensor/pms5003-7003/

https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstre...pdf?sequence=5

Thanks for the links Peter! This could get really interesting.

Looks like no good deed goes unpunished! Well maybe.

So I fixed my collapsing trash can by cutting out a plywood ring that squeezes into the can about half way down. Easy fix. Dust collection was working better than ever.

However, I noticed the other day that the motor was getting really hot. Earlier today it just quit. Checked the motor: real hot, like pull your hand away hot! Looks like the relays are energizing but nothing from the motor. I'm guessing it tripped a thermal overload.

As it was the end of the day, and I had to be somewhere, I just unplugged it and turned out the lights. Could cleaning the filters have let the motor run so wide open that it pulled too many amps and over-heated? There wasn't any magic smoke or smell so I don't suspect a bad capacitor.

This is a Leeson single phase 5hp motor.

One thing is for sure: I'm glad nobody bought this system when I tried to sell it in December!