Thread: glazing for solar kiln

glazing for solar kiln

Looking at building a solar kiln, and was shopping for double wall polycarbonate. Menards has twinwall poly 6mm for 42.99, but was looking at their website, and special order 8mm is recommended for greenhouses, but is not stocked, and costs double the 6 mm. Anybody have experience with the 6 mm product, is it strong enough?

You might consider contacting glass suppliers to see if you can get insulated glass units that have been replaced due to failed seals. There are a lot of patio doors out there.

I made a greenhouse using insulated patio door glass that I got for free. Some of it frosted up (bad seals) but that doesn't cause any problems, in fact perhaps it is a slight benefit.

Have some patio glass, but finding H channels and C channels to fit the glass is a bit of a problem. Just using caulk and wood makes for a leaking kiln.

If you look at the pictures of the Virginia Tech solar kiln they used single wall corrugated sheeting.
    Are you worried about sagging or snow load?
    I would think the 6mm would be enough

Think I will just use the 6 mill. The H and C channels are not expensive, and the glazing is cheap compared to anything else. You really do need to use a double pane material, and the twinwall fits the bill.