Thread: Can someone tell me something about this oire-nomi?

Can someone tell me something about this oire-nomi?

This was a late night impulse buy and I bought it mainly because the rough, unfinished thing just looks so damn cool. It wasn't too pricey either.

Can't help, except to ask from whom did you buy it? Over the past few years I have purchased (I belive) 5 chisels (2 individual and one set of 3), from Amazon. Somewhat modest in price, with all way better than I expected. The set of 3 are bench chisels, take a very nice edge on my Spyderco ceramic stones, rings came set correctly also. The other two were described as dovetail chisels, not really needed, and also being an impulse buy, have not displaced my regular DT users.

(And I was bitten by the same "looks so damn cool bug!)
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

The thickness, size and steep bevel suggest it is to clean out the bottom of a timber frame mortice.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Can't help, except to ask from whom did you buy it?
    I bought it on a second hand tool site. I know I've seen the kanji on the blade before but for the life of me I can't remember the brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The thickness, size and steep bevel suggest it is to clean out the bottom of a timber frame mortice.
    It's an oire-nomi so it's not made for something like that. It just looks big because it's hasn't been shaped with a grinder and file.

Rustic, stone age looking with a touch of modern technology in the edge. What's not to like.

I believe the maker is 正よし (Masayoshi or Seiyoshi). Here is a link to a retail site.

David,
    It is indeed Masayoshi like you say and made with white steel. It's not mentioned if it's 1 or 2. If some of the time that wasn't spent making the chisel pretty was spent on refining the cutting layer it could be a very good chisel.

I have to laugh at translations. The tab in google after translating says "Chastisement Chisel". I'm not sure how to take that or what its intended use should be.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 02-04-2019 at 5:34 AM.

Reminds me that I ordered a 42mm version of that chisel a couple years ago, and the damn thing never arrived. I wonder where it wound up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Curtis View Post
    Reminds me that I ordered a 42mm version of that chisel a couple years ago, and the damn thing never arrived. I wonder where it wound up.
    Mine have usually turned up at my neighbors. We have three digit addresses and ours are the same except for the middle digit. There are no mail boxes between our two. At least they are friendly and by the weekend one of their kids comes by and leaves it on our porch if we are not home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)