Thread: Bench Dog Inserts

Bench Dog Inserts

A few years ago a good friend of mine passed away and he had a Bench Dog router lift that I have put into my router table and been using. However, one of the things that I have been wanting to do is to find additional inserts for it. The insert that I have has about a 2.5 inch opening in it and I would like to get some additional ones. Does anyone know who sells these things? The insert has a diameter of 4 7/8 inches.

Thanks

Are you certain it's not 4 3/8"? Steel Bench Dog inserts use a zero clearance plate of eithe 4" or 4 3/8". If it's either of those then look here. The link will lead you to a variety of inserts for your plate.

This insert is 4 7/8. This is an older model so they may of changed over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine is 4-7/8 also.
    Not much help but I made a set of inserts out of lexan that I sized to my liking.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yea, I have the BenchDog lift and inserts like those shown by Joe and Bruce. I've been meaning to make a couple with smaller diameter openings but never got around to it. That's going to change now that I have the CNC. I really don't like a large gap when using things like straight flush-trim bits as I have now with the smallest OEM insert.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Mine is 4-7/8 also.
    Not much help but I made a set of inserts out of lexan that I sized to my liking.

I measured the height of the ring which measures about .338 of an inch, couldn't find a lexan sheet with that thickness, did you have to make any adjustments to the thickness to make it work?

1) Do you remember what lexan thickness you bought and is it flush with the top?

Just an FYI for others. After doing some additional research there is a zero clearance insert that is available that fits inside of the existing steel ring that bolts to the underside of the ring. Not the most convenient way of doing it.

I was under the impression you would replace the full ring. Found the following part number:

40-039 Bench Dog 40-039! Zero Clearance Insert

However after searching the web for the part number, I only found one of them and they wanted $15 and $36.oo for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe H. Davis View Post
    I measured the height of the ring which measures about .338 of an inch, couldn't find a lexan sheet with that thickness, did you have to make any adjustments to the thickness to make it work?

1) Do you remember what lexan thickness you bought and is it flush with the top?
    Yeah, that’s why I said “not much help” I have metal working machines and custom made these to fit my BD lift. I started with ½” lexan and machined a step to fit.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Joe H. Davis View Post
    Just an FYI for others. After doing some additional research there is a zero clearance insert that is available that fits inside of the existing steel ring that bolts to the underside of the ring. Not the most convenient way of doing it.

I was under the impression you would replace the full ring. Found the following part number:

40-039 Bench Dog 40-039! Zero Clearance Insert

However after searching the web for the part number, I only found one of them and they wanted $15 and $36.oo for shipping.

Thanks for pointing that out, Joe. I like the idea of making those a lot better than making the full size inserts!

----

Bruce, do you remember what the specs are for the screws that hold in your machined inserts?
    --

Jim, they are 8-32UNC X ½” 82° flat head socket cap screws. I don't remember if that's what it came with or just what I used. I tend to upgrade screws that will see a lot of in & out use..

Andy Rooney

Thanks, Bruce. This is now on my unofficial "do it for me" project list.
    --

Joe & Jim,

I believe the Pro Lift you have is the Bench Dog 40-016

The 40-039 is mentioned in the Owner’ manual on page 8 along with a few other Prolift options.
    I’m not sure how many of these 3 options are still available today.

The manual is at the website below.

https://www.burnstools.com/media/wys...71920472f9.pdf

Blog Entries
    My router lift came from Jessem. I immediately went back to Jessem and ordered a half dozen blanks just to have spares on hand in case they were discontinued. I don't think I've ever broken into my backup stash.